• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Racing Ferrari Coveralls

88thcompany

Hi everyone,
I collect many jackets, but this unique piece has been a bit of an enigma to me. I have loved racing for a long time, from F1 to LeMans, I love it! I especially like the Senna era and I also read some racing comics. Even so, I couldn't find anything about a yellow Ferrari coverall. From my research, this beautiful coverall is for racing. It has all the design parts for a driver. Of course, but I could be wrong. This is why I'm asking the community for help on this one.
From the zippers, I dated the coveralls between the 70's to the 80's. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Sonia :)

88th_Company_Ferrari_Coverall.jpg
88th_Company_Ferrari_Coverall-8.jpg
88th_Company_Ferrari_Coverall-7.jpg
88th_Company_Ferrari_Coverall-2.jpg
88th_Company_Ferrari_Coverall-5.jpg

Attachments

• 88th_Company_Ferrari_Coverall-6.jpg
    88th_Company_Ferrari_Coverall-6.jpg
    908.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 88th_Company_Ferrari_Coverall-4.jpg
    88th_Company_Ferrari_Coverall-4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 88th_Company_Ferrari_Coverall-3.jpg
    88th_Company_Ferrari_Coverall-3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

MikeyB-17

It’s a cool thing-I know squat about such things, but I tend to doubt it was actually intended for racing. I think you’re right about 70’s/80’s, by which time I imagine actual racing coveralls would have been fireproof. Promotional item?

88thcompany

It’s a cool thing-I know squat about such things, but I tend to doubt it was actually intended for racing. I think you’re right about 70’s/80’s, by which time I imagine actual racing coveralls would have been fireproof. Promotional item?
I see, you're right! It could. Or maybe it could have been worn by mechanics?

88thcompany

Possibly, although I would have thought most pit crew were also wearing fireproof stuff by then-especially if involved in refuelling etc.
True! very true! I saw much older pictures where safety was pretty basic. But it was in the 30's and it doesn't match this design. I guess we won't ever know.

Pilot

If I am not mistaken, they were sold as advertisement articles at Shell gas stations.
Here a similar one…and yes highly flamable meltable, recycled Polyester and Spandex

Smithy

No way are those a racing suit even from the 70s.

Even in the very early days before fire-retardant materials, stuff was made of cotton/canvas. I think Brice has hit the nail on the head that these are some promotional thing.

88thcompany

If I am not mistaken, they were sold as advertisement articles at Shell gas stations.
Here a similar one…and yes highly flamable meltable, recycled Polyester and Spandex
awesome! thanks!

entertainment

I'm a big fan of F1. I am not so sure there was that much concern for the safety of the pit crews until recently. I think the promotional theory may be correct, but I would not base the attribution on the fabric.

Here is a Senna pit stop from 1993 with the crew in short sleeves and shorts.

If you have access to the archive at F1TV you can watch some of the old races to see what the pit crews are wearing, although that is a big time investment.

88thcompany

I'm a big fan of F1. I am not so sure there was that much concern for the safety of the pit crews until recently. I think the promotional theory may be correct, but I would not base the attribution on the fabric.

Here is a Senna pit stop from 1993 with the crew in short sleeves and shorts.

If you have access to the archive at F1TV you can watch some of the old races to see what the pit crews are wearing, although that is a big time investment.
Awesome classic video by the way! I indeed saw many pictures and videos with a small concern for safety. I can't believe they are wearing shorts lol! CRAZY! I watched f1 when I was a kid, it was so much fun! Senna was a legend! Later, Shumi was one hell of a driver too! Thanks for the tip, I will keep on digging! ;)