• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vintage navy leather

Doug C

LOVE the A-1 ! Very cool details on that one, it's funny I think everyone assumed that those with the high chest pockets, were patch pockets like the other ones... and maybe some of them were, but this shows that some were and internal pocket w/ an external flap - I personally never considered that option. Hmm, now that this picture has surfaced, let's see if Buzz Rickson, The Few or whoever doesn't create a repro of it next year (someone could owe you royalties [j/k]) Thanks for the pictures.

Doug C

shedonwanna

Doug C said:
LOVE the A-1 ! Very cool details on that one, it's funny I think everyone assumed that those with the high chest pockets, were patch pockets like the other ones... and maybe some of them were, but this shows that some were and internal pocket w/ an external flap - I personally never considered that option. Hmm, now that this picture has surfaced, let's see if Buzz Rickson, The Few or whoever doesn't create a repro of it next year (someone could owe you royalties [j/k]) Thanks for the pictures.

Doug C

Plenty of great resources on that site - jackets and artwork. Royalties? Just send me a prototype in 46 Tall!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
LOVE the A-1 ! Very cool details on that one, it's funny I think everyone assumed that those with the high chest pockets, were patch pockets like the other ones...

Most of them are patch pockets, but obviously one contractor had his own interpretation. We've seen them before, sometimes mixed in with the patch pocket variety in group photos. One such photo appears in Full Gear entitled USN Officers of Striking Eagles Squadron in 1930.

Both versions are correct ... the specifications for the 37J1 (it's the Navy jacket) stipulate the chest position (breast pockets), the size, and require a buttoning flap.

Doug C

I looked through all the pictures I have of A-1s, and have seen no others with this set up but then I haven't gotten around to buying any of the book everyone's alway talking about. You're right of course that it was just a specific contractor's interpretation, and it's one I like very much too.
Doug C

bseal

Doug C said:
I looked through all the pictures I have of A-1s, and have seen no others with this set up but then I haven't gotten around to buying any of the book everyone's alway talking about. You're right of course that it was just a specific contractor's interpretation, and it's one I like very much too.
Doug C

See Simon Debrux's second post; originals, left hand side:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=315&start=0

Doug C

bseal wrote:
See Simon Debrux's second post; originals, left hand side:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=315&start=0

Well no shit :) , the same design, would ya look at that...I think the high patch pockets look a little goofy (and I had one custom made that way myself) but the int. pocket/ ext. flap design on the chest works for me - wish I would have seen this back then.
Hey shedonwanna, thanks again for the links.
Doug C