• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Motorcycle Jacket - Help!

AmyWarhol

Hello! I found this fantastic jacket recently and I would like some advice on it. Can you tell me the approximate age? Possible maker? Any information is greatly appreciated. The liner is shot, the tag is missing but there is a ghost of the tag on the liner... More pics available if needed. Thanks so much in advance.

DSCF3263.jpg

DSCF3268.jpg

Code:
img src="http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab285/Amywarhol/DSCF3268.jpg?t=1285082473"/ >

AmyWarhol

deeb7 said:
AmyWarhol said:
Does it have any value at all?

It's a wonderful jacket, but of no commercial value ... if you mail it to me, we'll call it even. ;)

Here's an online guide ...

http://www.vintagemotorcyclejackets.com/prices.htm
LOL! ;)
Yes, I had come across that site, however I have no idea if my jacket is anything like the ones listed. It is missing the tag, so I can't identify it. Also, I have not run across any with the two different brown colors. I am at a loss here as to even what kind of leather it is. It is not as stiff as most biker jackets I have seen, but not super soft, either. Is the pocket on this a "D" pocket or a pistol pocket?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
AmyWarhol said:
Is the pocket on this a "D" pocket or a pistol pocket?

I would call it a pistol pocket.

The link was just to give you an idea of the price range, but being two tone, it must be up there. I agree with Steve ... looks like horsehide.

bseal

Amy,

Go right ahead and post more pics. Inside lining and close ups of the zipper are a good start.
If it is a 38" to 40" it should go over to New Zealand for further evaluation. ; )

44" and above, Oakland, CA.

Warmest,
S

AmyWarhol

Thanks for all of the tips! Here are some more photos...
DSCF3277.jpg

DSCF3279.jpg

DSCF3280.jpg

DSCF3281.jpg

DSCF3275.jpg

DSCF3274.jpg

DSCF3272.jpg

DSCF3271.jpg

DSCF3270.jpg

DSCF3269.jpg

DSCF3266.jpg

DSCF3264.jpg

It was suggested to me that perhaps the main zipper was replaced. What do you think? Does the orange tag tell you anything? It is attached to the leather under the liner in the shoulder area. I am hoping that might be the key to identifying the jacket, since the tag on the liner is long gone.

asiamiles

Very nice jacket. Real character without being too showy. I would certainly be in a bidding war with David if you decided to part with it.

Where did you happen to find it? I can imagine whatever you paid for it equates to a bargain.

AmyWarhol

Uhhh... Yeah, it was a bargain... Thrift store. My sister saw it and said it looked like a homeless person had died in it, the cashier said she couldn't believe that it was even on the sales floor. It will never ever fit me, but it looks so nice on my mannequin "Andy" right now. My gf and I are enjoying its presence for now.

AmyWarhol

I was hesitant to do anything to the leather, I really feel like it has been like this for years and I do not want to do anything to it at all. Thanks for the suggestion. What does Pecard's do?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
AmyWarhol said:
I was hesitant to do anything to the leather, I really feel like it has been like this for years and I do not want to do anything to it at all. Thanks for the suggestion. What does Pecard's do?

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of Pecards, it will darken the leather, rather like applying oil to timber ... another of my pet hates. I don't like any treatment that can't be undone.

Doing nothing is the best choice, if you ever decide to sell, it's just the way a collector would like to find it.

AmyWarhol

Thanks so much David, that is important. I have decided that I am definitely going to sell the jacket, I was not sure if I should treat it first or not, though I was leaning towards leaving it in "as found" condition. Thanks so much for your help!

I think you should leave it in the current condition since it looks like it's in pretty good shape. I would guess late forties or early fifties because of the style of the Talon zippers. It's very nice!

Grant

Looking at the zip my guess is 50's. If you take a look at some of Rin Tanaka's books you may be able to date it a little closer.

AmyWarhol

Grant said:
Looking at the zip my guess is 50's. If you take a look at some of Rin Tanaka's books you may be able to date it a little closer.
I looked a little more closely at the zipper itself, and I am certain that the zipper is a replacement. There are stitch holes in the leather behind the zipper from what I think is the original. In addition, the sewing pattern along the zipper is not as uniform as elsewhere in the jacket.
Thanks for the tip on the book!