• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage hats need help.

B-Man2

Merchant navy, but which merchant navy? that is the question. Not British, because it has a completely different crest.
The Dutch Merchant Marine was suggested but I don’t think that’s correct .
It’s strange because the crest has all of the ear marks of being a British protectorate county .

JonnyCrow

Merchant navy, but which merchant navy? that is the question. Not British, because it has a completely different crest.
Your guess is as good as mine , I had a quick scout and I've seen about a dozen the same, that's a job in itself finding out other than it's bullion and merch

Spitfireace

I was thinking Hong Kong, but finding images on the internet is proving to be difficult. There are also all the small Caribbean islands that are or were British colonies.

JonnyCrow

I was thinking Hong Kong, but finding images on the internet is proving to be difficult. There are also all the small Caribbean islands that are or were British colonies.
You'd be including a lot of commonwealth then including India, South Africa, Australia etc, a lot of MN bullion badges look generic, but I do know the standard British anchor I think sat on a red velvet cushion back

Spitfireace

You'd be including a lot of commonwealth then including India, South Africa, Australia etc, a lot of MN bullion badges look generic, but I do know the standard British anchor I think sat on a red velvet cushion back
Here is a British Merchant Navy officer's cap badge from WW2. I would think Canada, Australia, NZ, would be very similar if not the same.

1670362658925.png

tda003

The 2nd cap is for an officer in the USMS (United States Merchant Service). Though quite large during WWII, today the USMS is limited to the USMMA and it's worn by instructors and administrative officers of the United States Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, Long Island, NY.
The 3rd is an bullion embroided US Navy officers cover. I don't know if it's still regulation, but years ago, though pricy, it was not at all unusual to see them. I think it's a distinguished look and becomes "salty" as it's exposed to the elements. Ammonia used sparingly, would get rid of most of the tarnish.
As to the first. If the side buttons are correct to the hat, it appears to be of US origin. The emblem itself may not be US, as I have never seen a US flagged ship with a crown as part of the hat badge. Possibly a cover for a foreign flagged merchant shipping company?

Last edited:

B-Man2

The 2nd cap is for an officer in the USMS (United States Merchant Service). Though quite large during WWII, today the USMS is limited to the USMMA and it's worn by instructors and administrative officers of the United States Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, Long Island, NY.
The 3rd is an bullion embroided US Navy officers cover. I don't know if it's still regulation, but years ago, though pricy, it was not at all unusual to see them. I think it's a distinguished look and becomes "salty" as it's exposed to the elements. Ammonia used sparingly, would get rid of most of the tarnish.
As to the first. If the side buttons are correct to the hat, it appears to be of US origin. The emblem itself may not be US, as I have never seen a US flagged ship with a crown as part of the hat badge. Possibly a cover for a foreign flagged merchant shipping company?
Thanks for you input . Much appreciated .