• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vet A-2 CBI Hump Pilot

CBI

Jacket worn by Gerald Houser from Paris, Arkansas. CBI C-46 pilot (many hump trips). Also ATC ferry pilot flying a/c to Alaska. 2,637 flight hours. Air Medal and DFC. “Carried many cases of beer in the C-46 so it would be cold for ground crews” Also an instructor pilot in Arkansas and Oklahoma. Born 1920, passed in 2003.

From the local air museum. It needed some Pecards so I had it at home for a day. Probably a size 38. Interesting narrowing epps. Lots of postwar re-do: lining, knits, maybe blood chit and zip?
IMG_9059.jpg

IMG_9061.jpg

IMG_9074.jpg

IMG_9071.jpg

IMG_9080.jpg

IMG_9076.jpg

IMG_9079.jpg

IMG_9065.jpg

IMG_9069.jpg

IMG_9067.jpg

IMG_9063.jpg

dujardin

yesssssssssss

nice one

great you have it in your hands for some days
give this jacket a good care

as you mention, i found the blood chit too ''fresh''

CBI

Just returned it to the museum. Now they have asked for MY jackets for a display - yikes!

CBI

Just too big of an investment to have my own stuff out of my hands/eye!

No before pics on the CBI - just so little time.

I had offered to clean it up about 2 months ago and just got to it in the last day or two.

handworn

My grandfather was part of those Hump ground crews-- a meteorologist who they assigned to be a loadmaster-- and the story has come down from him about that practice of carrying beer on the Hump runs so it would be cold for the crews back in India.

Roughwear

handworn said:
My grandfather was part of those Hump ground crews-- a meteorologist who they assigned to be a loadmaster-- and the story has come down from him about that practice of carrying beer on the Hump runs so it would be cold for the crews back in India.

This is very interesting. Do you have any pics of your grandfather in his ground crew gear?