• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value for money.

A

Anonymous

I've just gotten back into motorbiking and bought myself a leather jacket. I know it's 'only' cow and not veg' tanned etc, etc BUT the amount of work that has gone into it with elasticated sections, removeable liners for cold and wet weather, zippers, pockets for and including armour etc, etc, makes me wonder what all the fuss is about with modern repro flight jackets. Originals I understand as they are historical artifacts but it seems to me that the repro manufacturers tend to be basing their prices more on what an original is worth and undercutting that (often by not very much !) than what it costs to make one unit.

I appreciate that guys like JC aren't working as efficiently as people like Eastman, Aero, RMNZ etc, etc but the larger makers now give me the impression that they are ripping people off. The labour cost in terms of inches of stitching must be higher than the cost of the hide (certainly for First World labour) and actually the inches of stitching in an A-2 ain't exactly a lot is it ? And there's a lot more hide in my biking jacket than in an A-2 too.

As conspiracies go, this could be bigger than 9/11 ! :lol:

J_H

rich

It's a good point, but perhaps something to do with mass market vs. niche market? I'll stop digging right now........... :)

zoomer

rich said:
It's a good point, but perhaps something to do with mass market vs. niche market? I'll stop digging right now........... :)
Hand me the shovel. Yes, you're right. There is many, many times the demand for moto leather.

42-15142-PCloneWebpic-thumb.jpg

For every quality repro WW2 flight jacket sold...

Horsehide(a).JPG
Horsehide(a).JPG
Horsehide(a).JPG
Horsehide(a).JPG
Horsehide(a).JPG
Horsehide(a).JPG
Horsehide(a).JPG
Horsehide(a).JPG
Horsehide(a).JPG
Horsehide(a).JPG
...???
...easily 10 motorcycle jackets of comparable quality are sold, and probably more.

IMO, end of story.