• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN Navy pilots in Spitfires!

oose

A M-422a in Kent!! with VCS-7 june 44.

vcs7_21.jpg

scan00371.jpg

scan00391.jpg

spitfire-vcs-7-c.jpg

"When the US Navy was planning for the Normandy invasion, it became obvious that the Curtiss SOC and Vought OS2U planes normally used to spot for naval bombardment would be sitting ducks for the high performance German fighters. The decision was made to give the spotters a high performance fighter and thus even the odds a little
Seventeen VCS and VO(Battleship Observation) Pilots from the USS Quincy,USS Tuscaloosa(CA37,Augusta(CA31),Nevada(BB36),Arkansas(BB33) and Texas(BB35) therefore converted to Spitfire Mk.Vs borrowed from the RAF, (and given the US Navy paper designation of FS-1) and training was done with 67th TRG USAAF at Middle Wallop which was operating Spitfires for recconaissance.
The unit was initially commanded by Lt.Robert W Calland(Senior pilot on the USS Nevada) .He was succeeded by Lt.Cdr William Denton Jr on the 28th May 1944.
As the RAF and Fleet Air Arm were using two Spitfire squadrons(Nos.26 & 63) and four Seafire squadrons(Nos.808,885,886 & 897) for that task, and British and American spotting aircraft would be under the same command ( 3rd Naval Fighter Wing of the FAA,) it made good sense to standardize on one aircraft type as much as possible for all units involved. Aircraft at Lee-on-Solent were "pooled" so pilots would have flown both Spitfires and Seafires.There were also 3 additional RAF Squadrons of Mustangs involved but the USN pilots did not use these aircraft- and the Mustangs moved to other duties a few hours after the start of the invasion.
From D-Day, June 6, 1944 until June 26, when the American naval bombardment was terminated, US Naval Spitfires based at Lee-on-Solent flew 209 missions in support of the Allied invasion. VCS-7 operated primarily with the Western Naval Task Force, which was mainly drawn from the US Navy
Nine aircraft were lost to all causes although there was apparently only one pilot,Lt R M Barclay, lost due to enemy action.There is some disagreement by various sources about the actual casualties. US aircraft damage losses were higher percentage wise than RAF/RN-presumably due to the USN pilots relative lack of type experience.
The Squadron flew 191 operational sorties between 6 and 25th June.The last naval bombardment (of Cherbourg) took place on the 26th June following which,the squadron was disbanded and personnel returned to their ships."

yours stu

Falcon_52

That sure looks like an M-445. I can barely make out the diamond sleeve patches and the collar looks too big to be the M-444.

Great pictures - thanks for posting!

Noel

dujardin

many thanks,

i'm really interested about USN (pilot - crew - planes - units) in England.

byeeeeee marcel

A

Anonymous

The plane in the first picture has been credited with one kill just aft of the cockpit there is a swastika .Jeff

zoomer

dujardin said:
many thanks,

i'm really interested about USN (pilot - crew - planes - units) in England.

byeeeeee marcel

You and I may be about the only ones. The Blue Hat Navy didn't see enough Real Action and wasn't backing up Marines, so there wasn't much glory to crow about. But they served proudly and bravely and deserve our salute.

pby.jpg
365E71EC577E49FB8E5EB28F072A9F25.jpg

PB4Y-1 Liberator like that flown by Lt. Joe Kennedy, Jr. on his fateful "flying television bomb" mission.

dujardin

You and I may be about the only ones. The Blue Hat Navy didn't see enough Real Action and wasn't backing up Marines, so there wasn't much glory to crow about. But they served proudly and bravely and deserve our salute.

yep, that's my feeling too.

many thanks for great photo

but i remember something, when i was into Belgian Navy and somewhere for ''amusement'', the first guy that a lady was searching for was everytime first the Navy man. after that airman and in last position, army.

so Navy don't need heroic action to be 1st :lol: :lol: :lol:

byeeeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

pitty that my english is not better to explain more deeply my feeling....

zoomer

We used enough Spits in action - did we ever give them a number? Like P-49 or P-56 or something we weren't using?