• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN Mil. Spec. 183428 (AER) (How old?)

bazelot

How old is this flight suit?

Bauer USN Jacket - Winter Flying Suit - Size 46 Long - Mil. Spec. 183428 (AER)

It's actually only the top so it's more a jacket than a flight suit.
Thanks,
Tom

Willy McCoy

Without seeing it but judging by the tag I would have to say it's an early contract. Early 60s. Is it the black & gold nomenclature tag? What color is the lining?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bazelot said:
- Mil. Spec. 183428 (AER)

Oh okay ... it should be MIL-S-18342B.

Without the maker's name, and/or contract number you can't tell exactly, but the B spec. ran from 1958-1964.

bazelot

Thanks guys. Here is the link to the auction. David once again you are correct. It says B at the end. I know nothing about those Mil spec labels. It looks like the contract number is N283-62051 A

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

i got it as a light beater if it can be worn. I just figured at $16 shipped I could not really go wrong. It looks like a very light jacket and that's exactly what I was looking for. Except for the stain on the sleeve it looks like the shell is in good order.

So is it 1963?

Willy McCoy

1963 is correct by looking at the spec. tag. It will not make a great beater jacket as the nylon shell is not as rugged as the USAF spec. DuPont twill material. It would be a great jacket for driving a convertible with the top down in 50 degree weather. It was designed as a liner and not so much as a coat/jacket. Prone to snags. Fixing your car in it or picking blackberries is out of the question.

bazelot

Willy McCoy said:
1963 is correct by looking at the spec. tag. It will not make a great beater jacket as the nylon shell is not as rugged as the USAF spec. DuPont twill material. It would be a great jacket for driving a convertible with the top down in 50 degree weather. It was designed as a liner and not so much as a coat/jacket. Prone to snags. Fixing your car in it or picking blackberries is out of the question.

Thanks for the info. I am really not expecting too much from this jacket and I certainly wouldn't go blackberry picking in it :) A light windbreaker is all I am looking for.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
N383-62051A Aviator's Equipment Corp .... Full Gear lists the contract year as 1959.

Willy McCoy

You are right about the date deeb7. For the bleach spots you are in luck. Get some green Rit dye, make the solution very watery and apply with finger. You'll want to build up to get the right shade so apply very light coats and let dry between applications. Good score by the way.

bazelot

I got the jacket yesteday. It's not in bad shape. I will fix up the lining and dye the bleach spot and it will look as good as new :) (almost!)
I washed it yesterday in a warm tub of water and boy was it filthy. i don't think I remember seeing water that black.
I will post pics once everything is done. They look like really comfortable jackets.

Willy McCoy

I just got through washing my McCoys "Rebel Without a Cause" and L-2 in the sink with mild soap and a long soak. Congrats on the jacket purchase. Watch out though - once you get nylon in your blood you are a goner for sure.

bazelot

Willy McCoy said:
You are right about the date deeb7. For the bleach spots you are in luck. Get some green Rit dye, make the solution very watery and apply with finger. You'll want to build up to get the right shade so apply very light coats and let dry between applications. Good score by the way.

Would you happen to know which exact green I should use for a jacket like this? Rit Dye has over 500 colors so it looks like the luck of the draw :)