• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN leather jacket repro options in 2023-2024

B-Man2

LHi
Thanks for all the answers and tips.
It is true the offer for originals is quite tempting. But I can't seem to overcome the idea I'm going to damage an original. I'm rather active and always running around I think I'll buy an original when I'm more settled and laid back.

Right now a repro seems the best choice as I won't have nightmares over every dings and stitches.

Doing a 360 here but I guess I'll save for one of the more pricey options.
GW is out of reach for me.
BK seems quite reasonable if any of you have any experience with his USN 422 Geiger...?
Pardon my lack of knowledge but I'm unfamiliar with Sheeley?
Any experience with the Japanese makers? I'm planning a trip to Japan sometime next year it might be worth it?!
Hi Wedge
Me again …. Here’s a solution to your situation. You are going to pay more for any repro, than an original made after the Vietnam War . Like you ..I have a problem wearing an original from any war that the jacket was issued during …. But … there are a plethora of original G-1 jackets made after 1973 that you could buy for reasonable money … much less than a current repro … and you couldn’t damage these jackets unless you intentionally tried to do them harm. Now think for a second … you thought enough about our expertise in these areas to ask us for our opinions and suggestions …. Most here are telling you to go original … so… why not follow that advice ? Just sayin…

rob20uk

You could go for a celebrity one.

IMG_7247.jpeg

Last edited:

Wedge417

LHi

Hi Wedge
Me again …. Here’s a solution to your situation. You are going to pay more for any repro, than an original made after the Vietnam War . Like you ..I have a problem wearing an original from any war that the jacket was issued during …. But … there are a plethora of original G-1 jackets made after 1973 that you could buy for reasonable money … much less than a current repro … and you couldn’t damage these jackets unless you intentionally tried to do them harm. Now think for a second … you thought enough about our expertise in these areas to ask us for our opinions and suggestions …. Most here are telling you to go original … so… why not follow that advice ? Just sayin…
Thanks for that advice. It's true I actually had not thought of getting a "younger" jacket. The mouton colar replacement seems like a good trick as well.

On that note? where do I source mouton colar replacements?
Also the G-1 I already own was quite "musky" to say the least (which is another reason that makes me think twice about second hand orignal) If you have any advice on how to give that leather a second life ?

Those of you who own a size 40 if you could you please post some measurements? I'm trying to figure out the size differences between 40 42. As I'm unsure which would best fit me. Just to have a general idea. Thanks in advance.

B-Man2

Thanks for that advice. It's true I actually had not thought of getting a "younger" jacket. The mouton colar replacement seems like a good trick as well.

On that note? where do I source mouton colar replacements?
Also the G-1 I already own was quite "musky" to say the least (which is another reason that makes me think twice about second hand orignal) If you have any advice on how to give that leather a second life ?

Those of you who own a size 40 if you could you please post some measurements? I'm trying to figure out the size differences between 40 42. As I'm unsure which would best fit me. Just to have a general idea. Thanks in advance.
Having a collar replaced is fairly easy and if you’re in the UK or the US there are a few people who will do that for you . Regarding the musty odor … if you use the search function here , you will find a few different threads that address musty odors and cigarette smoke odors and how to get rid of them . A last resort is to take it to a dry cleaner or a leather shop and have it taken care of there.

mulceber

Musty odor: Hang the jacket up in a garment bag, and put a bowl of baking soda or baking powder in the bottom of the bag. Leave it there for about 5 days. Then hang the jacket up in a well-ventilated space for a day. When you're done, the jacket should have no odor at all.

As for where to find mouton, go to ebay and search for vintage mouton fur coat. Tons of them should show up, and they're usually pretty cheap, since fur coats are rather passé. All you have to do is buy one, disassemble it, and send along a piece big enough for the fur collar when you have the dynal collar replaced. You should have several collars worth of fur left over.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Measurements will vary a bit between contracts and jacket to jacket. The only original size 40 G1 that I have owned was a 1958 contract L.W. FOSTER MIL-J-7823 (AER). It's measurements were as follows:

Chest (pit seam to pit seam): 21.5"

Shoulder (shoulder seam to shoulder seam in rear): 19"

Sleeve length (shoulder seam to end of sleeve knit): 25"

Back length (bottom collar seam to base of waist knit): 26"

@Brettafett has a couple original G1's that I believe are size 40's as well. If so, hopefully he can share measurements on those.

A big +1 to Jan's reply regarding an original jacket's durability. The leather and thread won't be an issue in most circumstances. Any questionable condition issues (dry leather, etc) are pretty easy to spot in photos. Just find an example with solid knits, liner, and mutton collar and there shouldn't be any concerns for using it as a daily beater.

Musty odor: Hang the jacket up in a garment bag, and put a bowl of baking soda or baking powder in the bottom of the bag. Leave it there for about 5 days. Then hang the jacket up in a well-ventilated space for a day. When you're done, the jacket should have no odor at all.

Paper grocery bags with a charcoal deodorizer placed inside also works well.