• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN flight jackets stencil / stamping question

A

Anonymous

Just wondering at what point during the manufacturing stage did the USN jackets have the collar stencil applied ?

Also, what times were the stencils in yellow and white before stopping and becoming that perforation in the windflap ? Is it conncected to the change of colour of the linings ?

And, while I think of it, what is it with the perforations in the windflap ? Why do that ? Cheaper ? More permanent ? Certainly less visible !

Hmmph, enough questions for now I suppose :D

Dave

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JACKET_ HEAD said:
... And, while I think of it, what is it with the perforations in the windflap ? Why do that ? Cheaper ? More permanent ? Certainly less visible !

I'm guessing that it was easier, and more permanent. The change came around 1956/57, with jackets from two of the Cagleco contracts being punched, and stencilled.

Jaydee

I believe the color of the liners were not specified in the early ones, because you see both red and brown colors. Later on they must have became a Specification, because they are all brown with a few olive-brown on some contracts.

Just an observation, I don't have the energy at this time to read the Specs (Yawn)