• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN Deck Shoes

Thomas Koehle

Something which was pretty new to me before i got more active in INSTA was the use of canvas-shoes at the USN

i thought they had their boondockers and thats it

anyway i ran into a guy which is a geek about USN shoes - see his blog here: https://indigoamateur.wordpress.com/2022/08/23/the-usn-deck-shoe-a-blueprint-and-a-review/ and learned the NAVY also used canvas-deck shoes

Even "Papa Boyington" used those shoes (front row 3rd guy from the right)

k0Zvxve.jpg

xpWHfpy.jpg

HyT93Yq.jpg

there is repops available from "McCoys" which are pretty pricey.

The much more economic way to get a pair of "lookalikes" is the personalisation-option at VANS

You just need to get through their "custom options" and they produce your shoes according to your wishes. Mine took about 7 weeks from ordering to delivery in Germany ...

6SQFdKw.jpg

rOnKHgh.jpg

MYINCro.jpg

i already posted a photo of them in the "SHOES TO WEAR ..."-thread just to see whether there might be any reaction but no feedback

B-Man2

Something which was pretty new to me before i got more active in INSTA was the use of canvas-shoes at the USN

i thought they had their boondockers and thats it

anyway i ran into a guy which is a geek about USN shoes - see his blog here: https://indigoamateur.wordpress.com/2022/08/23/the-usn-deck-shoe-a-blueprint-and-a-review/ and learned the NAVY also used canvas-deck shoes

Even "Papa Boyington" used those shoes (front row 3rd guy from the right)

k0Zvxve.jpg

xpWHfpy.jpg

HyT93Yq.jpg

there is repops available from "McCoys" which are pretty pricey.

The much more economic way to get a pair of "lookalikes" is the personalisation-option at VANS

You just need to get through their "custom options" and they produce your shoes according to your wishes. Mine took about 7 weeks from ordering to delivery in Germany ...

6SQFdKw.jpg

rOnKHgh.jpg

MYINCro.jpg

i already posted a photo of them in the "SHOES TO WEAR ..."-thread just to see whether there might be any reaction but no feedback
Thomas
I think that certain guys can wear these and look great in them. You being one of them. They look good with the clothes you’re wearing in these photos.

Last edited:

asiamiles

Thomas
I think that certain guys can wear these and look great in them. You being one of them. They look good with the clothes you’re wearing in these photos.
I've always thought deck shoes go with pretty much anything and they were my choice of footwear 40+ years ago...and today I'm wearing NY Mets Vans! Personally, I don't really care for the white with black soles combination, but I guess if you're a USN junky what choice d'you have?

Thomas Koehle

Smart thinking and those shoes are looking good! Did you choose for the "natural white" option for the shoes and the marsh mellow colour
for the laces?

(BTW: belated happy 60th anniversary ;) )
color of the canvas is indeed "natural white" - the laces came in "bright white" so i dyed them in coffee

price in Euros was 95.- without any postage from US

leadtime was about 4 weeks

THX for the birthday greetz

Thomas Koehle

Thanks Thomas. Will probably order a pair...
They are not 100% copies for sure but more affordable than the current copies i found

Based on your very detailed questions (like what color the laces) i assume you already checked the customer-part of the VANs homepage?

jack31916

In one of the articles I read that VANs were derived from the original Sperry shoes. I've checked the VANs homepage and I'm about to order a pair.

The USN had these shoes also in a brown colour with black soles but the off-white ones are more appealing to my taste.

Thanks for the lead !

Thomas Koehle

In one of the articles I read that VANs were derived from the original Sperry shoes. I've checked the VANs homepage and I'm about to order a pair.

The USN had these shoes also in a brown colour with black soles but the off-white ones are more appealing to my taste.

Thanks for the lead !
Yeah I saw some of them in brown also - the white ones are more of my taste

Sideslip

Saint-ex

Just found this alternative also:

1696394688864.png