• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN Aviation Greens

mulceber

For a while now I've been kicking around the idea of getting a pair of aviation greens (basically the BuAero's equivalent of Officer Pinks, and made of a similar wool blend). I figure they'd pair well with Navy flight jackets in the really cold months of the year. I've looked around eBay and found some, but VERY few that are both in my size and in good condition. And most of the ones that pop up come with the matching uniform jacket, which I don't really need (or have much extra space for).

Has anyone here acquired a pair of these, or a repro? (I'm thinking especially of you, @Grant, what with your excellent collection of different original service trousers.) Does anyone have any advice? Are there any decent repros available?

warguy

So when you say “greens” you are referring to only the pants and not the jacket? I am assuming so from the comment to Grant. I don't see many pants alone come to market, as you said the jackets re far more common and when you do see the pants they seem to be accompanied by the jacket. Good news is these don't seem to fetch a high dollar, even for the sets, even named. I have always thought they were under priced for the history they possess. Good luck on your quest.

Grant

Has anyone here acquired a pair of these, or a repro? (I'm thinking especially of you, @Grant, what with your excellent collection of different original service trousers.) Does anyone have any advice? Are there any decent repros available
Except for the tan enlisted man's shirt, I don't own any of the trousers and unfortunately have never seen anyone reproduce it. It's be cool if MASH reproduced them!
As a subtle nod to USN aviation clothing, I like wearing the John Lofgren USN brown low quarter shoes when rocking a WWII USN jacket. They are very well made and look very close to the originals.

https://standardandstrange.com/coll...s/usn-low-quarter-shoes-russet-brown-calfskin

mulceber

Except for the tan enlisted man's shirt, I don't own any of the trousers and unfortunately have never seen anyone reproduce it. It's be cool if MASH reproduced them!
As a subtle nod to USN aviation clothing, I like wearing the John Lofgren USN brown low quarter shoes when rocking a WWII USN jacket. They are very well made and look very close to the originals.

https://standardandstrange.com/coll...s/usn-low-quarter-shoes-russet-brown-calfskin
Yeah, I saw when S&S first got them in - they look really cool! How does the sizing compare to the tanker boots?

CombatWombat

When it get chilly here I wear a pair of M1951 serge trousers with my "Take me to the danger zone" jacket
The shade of green works well with the chocolate brown.
You can pick them up in fairly good condition in most sizes
When it's warm I wear British "denims" BD trousers...... though I replaced the buttons with slotted ones (so they didn't come off in a cockpit, which in hindsight was silly)

mulceber

That makes a lot of sense - the service shoes are a more recent product, and from what I've heard lately, it sounds like Lofgren is slowly transitioning their sizing from one size smaller than your Brannock device measurement to a half size smaller.

Smithy

It is kind of strange that no repro makers have done these yet. I'm not really into USN stuff but I find it perplexing that none of the usual suspects have banged out a replica of these. You could get in touch with WPG, Jerry used to like being given ideas for new projects.

mulceber

Ooh, good thought. I think they do the officer pinks. They might be interested in these as well. I kinda get why they haven't been copied before, as I can't imagine anyone wearing them in the Pacific Theater, where most of the Navy's action was, but I bet they were quite popular during the Battle of the Atlantic. Probably in Korea too!

Smithy

Ooh, good thought. I think they do the officer pinks. They might be interested in these as well. I kinda get why they haven't been copied before, as I can't imagine anyone wearing them in the Pacific Theater, where most of the Navy's action was, but I bet they were quite popular during the Battle of the Atlantic. Probably in Korea too!

Up in the north Pacific I imagine they were worn a lot. I'd approach some of the militaria reproduction guys as I wouldn't be surprised if someone jumped onboard and said "good idea". Jerry is especially one who I can see going with it.

Smithy

BTW Jan, if you can pick up a pair of originals on the Bay for not too much (doesn't matter the size or really condition so long as they're not completely destroyed) and say to someone like Jerry, that they can have them to make the pattern and keep and in payment you get a pair of the reproduction for free, is often how it's been done. You supply the original and you get one of the first runs of the repros. Worth a shot and especially if you can get an original pair for a song.

mulceber

BTW Jan, if you can pick up a pair of originals on the Bay for not too much (doesn't matter the size or really condition so long as they're not completely destroyed) and say to someone like Jerry, that they can have them to make the pattern and keep and in payment you get a pair of the reproduction for free, is often how it's been done. You supply the original and you get one of the first runs of the repros. Worth a shot and especially if you can get an original pair for a song.
Good thought - would it have to be a pair in my size? That is, do you think Jerry would be ok taking the pattern from a 28 or a 30 waist and having my copy be in a larger size? I see some pretty cheap ones available on ebay, but none in my size.

Smithy

Good thought - would it have to be a pair in my size? That is, do you think Jerry would be ok taking the pattern from a 28 or a 30 waist and having my copy be in a larger size? I see some pretty cheap ones available on ebay, but none in my size.

No drama Jan as they'll scale them to larger sizes. That's the thing with trousers and tunics they won't need the actual size you require as they scale them to large sizes the same way originals were.