• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN 'Avalanche' Coat.

asiamiles

I've seen this kind of coat referred to as an 'Avalanche' and I think 'Coast Guard' coat but imagine those were just casual terms for a style of coat we are mostly familiar with. Now the fact we can see in this photo 3 what I assume to be USN personnel - though I suppose they could be civilians on board a USN vessel for some reason - wearing seemingly identical coats makes me wonder if these were actual issued items and if so is there a proper name and some documentation for them?

cgcoat.jpg

Thomas Koehle

I've been sent links to two issued jackets, the NXs 16279...

WWII USN Rubberized Shearling Deck Coat Navy Contract NXs 16279

and the NXS 8138...

WWII US NAVY Deck Coat NXS 8139

Can't be 100% sure those worn in the pic are one of these. I'd imagined from looking at the photo that the coats were made from Jungle Cloth, which is what the likes of Buzz and TRM use for most of their 'Avalanche'/'Coast Guard' coats.

like you "said" - the garment shown on the period-pics does not look like "rubberized" at all ...

asiamiles

It seems there are lots of USN jackets that we know very little about.

I'm assuming that the jacket worn by the chap looking through the binoculars is a Zip Deck, and what looks like a throat strap is actually from the hat he's wearing? It could be the 'Special Winter Version' or he might have a few layers beneath a regular one.

Lowden025

Not sure when the photo was taken, but the Coast Guard was incorporated into the USN during WW2 so there may be some overlap in issued equipment.