• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAAF and Luftwaffe mannequin clothing : any suggestions ?

Kermit3D

Hello to all,
I have a project to make two mannequins, a USAAF pilot and a luftwaffe pilot.
Only the busts + arms + head.

Here is what I already have:

USAAF mannequin:
- A-2 (BK) jacket or B-6 (GW) jacket
- A-11 Helmet (original with audio system)
- B-8 goggles (original)
- A-14 oxygen mask (original)
- A-11 watch (original)

Luftwaffe mannequin :
- Cyclist jacket (original) or "reichsverteidigung" jacket (repro)
- Summer helmet LKp N101
- Tutima chronograph (reissue from the 1990's)

Here is what I am looking for:

USAAF Mannequin:
- A shirt : I'm looking for a correct reproduction not too expensive. Any suggestions?
- A tie : as for the shirt, I'm looking for a decent reproduction not too expensive.

Luftwaffe mannequin:
- A shirt : I am looking for a credible reproduction not too expensive.
- A tie : same thing
- Splitterschutzbrille goggle : well, clearly the most difficult to find for a correct price. Nothing under $1000 - $1200 or much more. To my knowledge, there is no correct reproduction.
- An oxygen mask (ideally model 10-6701). The originals are very expensive, but I have some tips for good reproductions.
- Ak-39 luftwaffe compass
- Officer's belt

Some of these items are very difficult to find and/or very expensive. This is a long term project, and for the moment I am concentrating on what I can get for less money.
To begin, do you have any suggestions for shirts and ties ? :)

Oh, one last thing... I don't have mannequins yet. I've been looking for over a year and I never thought it would be this hard to find. It seems that busts with head and arms are not common (I would like two identical ones).

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Some pictures of what I already have :

DSC_0723.jpg

4DFE1DA8-4951-4C21-A89F-1E90C2648806.jpg

DSC_0982.jpg

Flightengineer

Mannequins are all very different, if you are looking for one so that you can put gloves on it (with separate movable fingers), then yes, it is usually very expensive. Anyway, here.
I once redecorated one of the rooms and was in the mood to make it almost completely white (walls, furniture, shelving etc.)
Then I accidentally got a mannequin (one of those that are used in big malls), it is white and impersonal (face). It fits very well in style with this white room and since then it often "wears" what I don't need now. For example, now he is dressed in my old K2B flight suit from 1969 and the helmet of a Soviet MIG pilot from the same era.It's funny.
Although some my guests sometimes get scared when they see this guy for the first time ha ha.
Good luck in your searching.

Kermit3D

Mannequins are all very different, if you are looking for one so that you can put gloves on it (with separate movable fingers), then yes, it is usually very expensive. Anyway, here.
I once redecorated one of the rooms and was in the mood to make it almost completely white (walls, furniture, shelving etc.)
Then I accidentally got a mannequin (one of those that are used in big malls), it is white and impersonal (face). It fits very well in style with this white room and since then it often "wears" what I don't need now. For example, now he is dressed in my old K2B flight suit from 1969 and the helmet of a Soviet MIG pilot from the same era.It's funny.
Although some my guests sometimes get scared when they see this guy for the first time ha ha.
Good luck in your searching.
Yes "realistic" mannequins are quite scary :D ! I'm looking for some with a not realistic face, but with a nose shape so that the googles/masks fit well.
I search a lot on second hand websites, but it's still hard to find.
I also considered buying a cheap chinese model... but I still hesitate.

Flightengineer

Yes "realistic" mannequins are quite scary :D ! I'm looking for some with a not realistic face, but with a nose shape so that the googles/masks fit well.
I search a lot on second hand websites, but it's still hard to find.
I also considered buying a cheap chinese model... but I still hesitate.

Mine has a non-realistic face (I specifically wanted this), but...it's just portrays a man in full height and not everyone is ready to see him when entering this room. Especially in the evening at dusk :cool:

Kermit3D

Okay, today I took an important step in my project. I've finally found some mannequins !
Well, two pilots side by side with no pants, that's not what I have in mind... :rolleyes: I'd like to exhibit only the busts + arms + head (legs can be disassembled). I'd have to make some supports to hold the bust. On the other hand, I wonder if it wouldn't be a bit strange to have just busts without legs... I'll have to think about it more.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

I'm very happy with the result.
The shirts aren't correct, and a lot of elements are still missing... but it's coming along!
And I've finally found a rare "Splitterschutzbrille"! They'll be arriving in the next few days. :cool:

Splitterschutzbrill.jpeg

Dany McDonald

Allo Kermit3D,

Wow its a very nice start, I like it already. The idea of matching pilot gear from the Luft & USAAF is interesting it will make a great display, one we usually see in a museum.

For the display I would suggest going for vintage male display dress form. Modern or vintage. 1940's would be perfect and they are still available out there.

Dany

Adama36

Hello to all,
I have a project to make two mannequins, a USAAF pilot and a luftwaffe pilot.
Only the busts + arms + head.

Here is what I already have:

USAAF mannequin:
- A-2 (BK) jacket or B-6 (GW) jacket
- A-11 Helmet (original with audio system)
- B-8 goggles (original)
- A-14 oxygen mask (original)
- A-11 watch (original)

Luftwaffe mannequin :
- Cyclist jacket (original) or "reichsverteidigung" jacket (repro)
- Summer helmet LKp N101
- Tutima chronograph (reissue from the 1990's)

Here is what I am looking for:

USAAF Mannequin:
- A shirt : I'm looking for a correct reproduction not too expensive. Any suggestions?
- A tie : as for the shirt, I'm looking for a decent reproduction not too expensive.

Luftwaffe mannequin:
- A shirt : I am looking for a credible reproduction not too expensive.
- A tie : same thing
- Splitterschutzbrille goggle : well, clearly the most difficult to find for a correct price. Nothing under $1000 - $1200 or much more. To my knowledge, there is no correct reproduction.
- An oxygen mask (ideally model 10-6701). The originals are very expensive, but I have some tips for good reproductions.
- Ak-39 luftwaffe compass
- Officer's belt

Some of these items are very difficult to find and/or very expensive. This is a long term project, and for the moment I am concentrating on what I can get for less money.
To begin, do you have any suggestions for shirts and ties ? :)

Oh, one last thing... I don't have mannequins yet. I've been looking for over a year and I never thought it would be this hard to find. It seems that busts with head and arms are not common (I would like two identical ones).
If you are not too picky about sizes, original US shirts, trousers and ties are probably cheaper than repro (I probably have what you need - feel free to shoot me a message)

Kermit3D

Sorry for my late replies, I've been pretty busy the last few days.

I'd get some repro trousers and just have full-length mannequins.

Yeah, I thought about it. Reproductions of USAAF officer pants are pretty easy to find. But there are no (to my knowledge) reproductions of luftwaffe flight pants, and the originals are pretty expensive...
I have some roughout boots that might fit the USAAF mannequin, but I'm not too keen on investing in German flight boots.

All in all, that's a lot of money I hadn't really planned to spend, and it's not one of my priorities. Moreover, full mannequins take up a lot of space in my office, which isn't that big.

I think I'll think of a solution to display only the bust + head + arms. I just need to make a solid (and not too ugly) support and it will allow me to put the "half mannequins" on a low storage unit (and save a lot of space).
Anyway, nothing's irreversible, and I may just decide to put the legs back on later.

Ah just realized that you need a head.... Some vintage ones had a head form but they are really unique and hard to find...

Then go for modern bust form with the head.

D

Yes, it's very difficult to find a mannequin with just arms and head (at a reasonable price), I searched for over a year, then finally decided to buy complete mannequins that I can easily dismantle.
I also needed the shape of the nose so that goggles/oxygen masks would fit properly.

If you are not too picky about sizes, original US shirts, trousers and ties are probably cheaper than repro (I probably have what you need - feel free to shoot me a message)

It's interesting !
Initially, I might be interested in an American (USAAF) shirt and tie. Thank you very much. :)
I'll write to you a PM.

Pilot

Thanks a lot G. for your very nice sharing.
We use ladies mannequins which underwent a plastic surgery ( its fashion nowadays anyway i„ so no offence nor harm intended :) )
Their new attributes read pit to pit fit a 42-44 or less at perfection.
The trendy hairstyles and „ baby-faces“ suit perfectly for all youngsters participants of WWII.
In Luxemburg and nearby Germany they are available at profusion…. for approx 40 Euro/body.
I Korea and Japan its a different story.. here a M.. is max 1.7 m and with a 40“ chest.
In France guess a lot of them should be to sit /lay in the garbage containers after the looting and rioting of the last few weeks…if so and sure some are salvageable.

Kermit3D

I got the splitterschutzbrille !
I've been hoping to get them for years... I'm really happy. :)

I also dressed the USAAF mannequin with my B-6 Good Wear. The result is absolutely superb! What a jacket... o_O
I'll send a photo of the mannequin to John Chapman, I think he'll appreciate it.

DSC_0022.jpg