• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Authentic sizing

Flyderf

Does anyone have experience with how US Authentic A2s are sized? True to size, snug, over sized, etc.....?? I'm trying to decide between them and a Gibson & Barnes WWII Mark 31.

A

Anonymous

The problem with GB is that if you get one size smaller to achieve better fit, the sleeves will likely be shorter than what you need.

The US Auth has the most strange pattern I have seen and that's only one item in the list of its minuses.

Between the two I'd definitely go for GB.

Flyderf

PLATON said:
The problem with GB is that if you get one size smaller to achieve better fit, the sleeves will likely be shorter than what you need.

The US Auth has the most strange pattern I have seen and that's only one item in the list of its minuses.

Between the two I'd definitely go for GB.

What are other "minuses" in that list? I really know nothing about US Authentic's products. I have a few G&B jackets in various styles and I already know their quality.

A

Anonymous

What are the minuses??

I will quote somebody else on this

-------

Here are my notes from examining a russet horsehide US Authentic A-2:

* They use a collar stand design, but the stand does not cross over the inside
of the wind flap as it should. [Not all WWII jackets had collar stands, and most
of them did not.]

* The epaulets are made of one piece of leather and folded over in front,
rather than made of two pieces as it should be. The placement of the epaulets,
and the shoulder seam behind them, is a little too far forward and coming over
the shoulder.

* The label is erroneous in that the line for the drawing number reads DWC
instead of DWG, and for some reason they used both an order number and a
contract number on the label. Only one of the two numbers should be used,
and the two numbers they used were ones from WWII jackets of two different
makers.

* The AN inspector's stamp in the lining is too big.

* They put a line of stitching around the small leather extension from the bottom
right side of the zipper into the waistband, and that shouldn't be there.

* The lining is too coarsely woven and the material is thick and fuzzy compared
to originals. The color is okay, though.

* The collar hook hardware is too big. The collar and pocket snap hardware is
not much like originals, and also seems cheap -- one of them fell apart when I
was looking at the jacket (but it was easy to snap back together).

* The sleeves are a bit too full and don't taper enough to the cuff.

* The horsehide leather was about the thickest I've seen but at least it was soft
and not stiff.

* The leather finish was a pretty heavy, painted on finish, not much like originals.

UNQUOTE

Let me add that the whole pattern is odd. Also the armholes are way too big.

Falcon_52

Flyderf said:
Does anyone have experience with how US Authentic A2s are sized? True to size, snug, over sized, etc.....?? I'm trying to decide between them and a Gibson & Barnes WWII Mark 31.

I have a U.S. Authentic 44R (it was my first A-2 jacket). Regarding the fit: it is a little bit too long in the body for me. I prefer a jacket that ends right at or slightly below my natural waist. The leather is pretty thick 4 oz. - even 5 oz. in some areas - so it takes a while for the jacket to loosen up. The hide is really tough and can take some serious punishment. I typically wear mine when working on the cars, sliding around on the garage floor, etc.

I don't have any experience with the Gibson and Barnes jackets although they look pretty good and are probably more period accurate in terms of the A-2 details like hide thickness, hardware, lining, etc.

Good luck in your quest!

Noel

A

Anonymous

One more thing,
The leather is like the color is srpay painted. You don't get the feeling of 'natural' leather like with the vegetable tan leathers of other repro makers.

zoomer

PLATON said:
One more thing,
The leather is like the color is srpay painted. You don't get the feeling of 'natural' leather like with the vegetable tan leathers of other repro makers.
Ie: it's chrome tanning. Very even color, greater water resistancy.
Typically a postwar thing (such as on the Lewis cycle jackets recently posted).
Lost Worlds leather is all chromed.

Flyderf

Will a chrome-tanned hide fade into a patina type finish as it wears? The G&B jacket I have is drum dyed and it seems that color will never fade.