• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown AN-6552 - any ideas of the manufacturer?

Marty490

I purchased this jacket off eBay years ago, always thought it was a M422a, but after reading the 'A Better Fighting Garment' article it appears it may be an AN-6552. When I bought it, it had a grey replacement mouton collar, home-made leather cuffs, 'modern' waistband, no tag, original red liner non-original zipper. The goatskin is very heavy, and in great shape. The only marking on the outside is the yellow 'US' centered under the collar. It looks similar to the American Sportswear AN-6552 yellow 'US' from the article, but seems a bit different. On the inside of the jacket, after removal of the lining I found "AP3 36" stamped in ink on a number of the leather sections. Anyway, anybody have or have had a similar jacket and can identify the manufacturer. Here are some pictures:
39_1_b.jpgDSCN1293.JPGDSCN1289.JPGDSCN1297.JPG

Chandler

Yours looks a lot like my AN, down to the yellow US stencil -- which someone once posted was only used by one manufacturer, maybe Foster? Someone will know.

Mine also has the original knits in a very berry color.

Mine never had a spec tag while in my possession, so it's been a mystery.

mulceber

I think the pocket flaps pretty well rule out American Sportswear, as all the originals I've seen have pretty ordinary looking pocket flaps, instead of the scalloping I'm seeing on yours. The pocket flaps look to me a lot more like those of the H&L Block M-422A (which also had a yellow stencil, like yours). H&L Block did have an AN-6552 contract (although I haven't seen pictures), so that's my best guess.

mulceber

Yup! More detailed pictures would help, but this seems like a pretty good guess.

Marty, this jacket seems like a great candidate for refurbishment.

Marty490

Hey all, thanks for the prompt replies. After reading the replies, seeing the various pictures and doing some more searching today I do believe it may be the H&L Block AN-6552. The pictures Chandler posted look very close to my jacket. I also found the original picture of the 'US' (with the gray mouton) and it looks identical to the picture above. I did stumble across an ad for an H&L Block AN-6552 and it has the scalloped pocket flaps, same 'US' marking etc. Here's my collar and the one from the Block ad. Together with Chandlers US picture, seems pretty convincing. Thanks again. Yes, I do plan on having the jacket brought back to life.
74_1_b.jpg

H&L Block AN-6552 size 38 collar.jpg

Attachments

• 74_1_b.jpg
    74_1_b.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

STEVE S.

Looks like a block to me. Did the AN series Block have the same unique liner with the center pleat? If so would be another indicator.

Lord Flashheart

Good point Steve I remember you mentioning this characteristic of Block when I picked up that M-422A from you.

No horizontal reinforcement stitching on the collar either might be another H&L specific point?

STEVE S.

Good point Steve I remember you mentioning this characteristic of Block when I picked up that M-422A from you.

No horizontal reinforcement stitching on the collar either might be another H&L specific point?

W&G didn’t have the horizontal stitching either, but used a different font/color on the stencil.

Chandler

Looks like a block to me. Did the AN series Block have the same unique liner with the center pleat? If so would be another indicator.
I'll double-check mine, but it's been patched up a few times, so it may be difficult to tell.

Yeah, mine has a big patch in the center of the lining, so it's difficult to tell.
hy8DF79.jpg

On closer inspection (not using the photo only), that is a flat, double pleat down the center -- about 4" wide (pleated on either side). The patch is actually at the top... where the spec label should be.

Last edited:

STEVE S.

On closer inspection (not using the photo only), that is a flat, double pleat down the center -- about 4" wide (pleated on either side). The patch is actually at the top... where the spec label should be.

the Block had that 4” center pleat, all others were a mirror image of the outer shell with the pleats matching the bi swing.