• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate "Steve Mcqueen" A-2

cmk-2

All right everybody need your input.
I have been talking to JC of Goodwear and Charlie Disipio of HPA to build the ULTIMATE Steve Mcqueen RW A-2 from "the Great Escape ". this is the line up so far:The three of us agree that the A-2 Steve wears is a RW 16159 that is a "re-dye" with AAF decal. John has agreed to build a RW 16159 in Russet then after completed will re-dye in the correct deep dark almost black dye. This will allow the threads to be redyed (as per the original re-dye jobs done by the AAF). John will use ELC knitts that I will send him rather then use his stock ones. For the AAF transfer I will order The Mash water transfer product due to the fact that the originals were of the water type not heat or painted on. The leather name strip (SSW brand) willl have my name not V. Hilts. I'm thinking the Re-dye will wear much like Mcqueen's with the Russet showing through the dark brown dye with use and age. If anyone has ideas to improve "the work in progress" please shout out. I also want to thank JC and Charlie for working together on this for me it's not every day you find companies willing to work together in bring a product to market. Robin

atkins

I just watched Great Escape the other day, somehow i remember this:

http://www.buzzricksons.jp/product/army ... -0005.html

Honestly i don't quite like how the jacket fit on the Cooler King but it sure look classic A-2 fit. You're getting a Goodwear, so i don't think you don't have to worry about a thing...well maybe the waiting. Good luck and congratulation.

Regards,
Atkins

greyhound52

That sounds like a neat jacket. Please post pics once you have it.

Of course now you need the Cooler King's sweat shirt which you can get from Toys Mccoys and the boots and pants oh and don't forget the cool watch he had as well. And what the heck the motorcycle too. Probably too much huh?

Still sounds like a real neat project and you are right very unusual to find to different companies willing to work together on something like this. But then both of those guys are really first class.

cmk-2

Hey thanks for the BR link I had not found that page before.. I have already ordered the BR khaki's from HPA to go with the A-2. I'll look for a blue sweatshirt at old navy later. I would not drive a murdercycle so my '45 MB (jeep) will have to do. Robin

Burnsie

That's an admirable lot of cooperation and commitment to detail - you'll surely end up with something Toys McCoy could only dream of! (But as long as you're putting in that kind of effort for accuracy spring for a Buzz or McCoy sweat and skip the Old Navy...just a thought :) )

Chandler

Don't you suppose most of the original dye ought to be worn away and the jacket broken in (a lot) before a redye is (as in the era) necessary? Just wondering if you'll get the true effect.

In watching The Great Escape so many, numerous times (thank you DVD special edition) Hilts' A-2 never struck me as near-to-black.

Chandler

duke

Good luck with your jacket plans! John is a great person-honest and enthusiastic, you will have no issues there. I would hesitate to do anything with HPA-overcharged me for a jacket that they wouldn't take back after they told me I should "see how you like it and, if it's not the right one for you, return it" Yeah....

cmk-2

Hey,
Thanks for everyones input. Burnsie your right about the sweatshirt I see 2 Toys Mccoy's are listed on ebay but 1 is a small and the other is an XL and as luck would have it I'm a Medium to large ( I wonder if the shirts run a size small? anyone know?). Hi Chandler maybe it's the lighting or age of the print on my DVD but while NOT black it seems to be a REALLY dark seal. JC says he knows the color and will be able to reproduce it. Duke I'm very surprised to read you had trouble with HPA I have dealt with Charlie D. for over 20 years and had nothing but great service. Bad things do happen to good people, believe me I know .I run the guest service dept. in a major resort and no matter how hard we try someone slips throught the cracks. Robin

greyhound52

cmk-2 said:
Hey,
Thanks for everyones input. Burnsie your right about the sweatshirt I see 2 Toys Mccoy's are listed on ebay but 1 is a small and the other is an XL and as luck would have it I'm a Medium to large ( I wonder if the shirts run a size small? anyone know?). Hi Chandler maybe it's the lighting or age of the print on my DVD but while NOT black it seems to be a REALLY dark seal. JC says he knows the color and will be able to reproduce it. Duke I'm very surprised to read you had trouble with HPA I have dealt with Charlie D. for over 20 years and had nothing but great service. Bad things do happen to good people, believe me I know .I run the guest service dept. in a major resort and no matter how hard we try someone slips throught the cracks. Robin

Yes they run small. If you are a true 42 go for the XL. I made the mistake and got a Large and while it fits it is a bit snug. 40 you should be ok with a Large.

cmk-2

Thanks, I'm more of a "41" I guess. 42's are just abit big on me... Maybe a HOT water wash and hot dry will make it fit just right. Robin

Persimmon

Sorry this message is a year out of date but I only became a member in December.
As for the jacket - did it come to fruition and any pictures.
Would JC do it again. What would I need to quote to him.
Thanks for any help. Alan

All right everybody need your input.
I have been talking to JC of Goodwear and Charlie Disipio of HPA to build the ULTIMATE Steve Mcqueen RW A-2 from "the Great Escape ". this is the line up so far:The three of us agree that the A-2 Steve wears is a RW 16159 that is a "re-dye" with AAF decal. John has agreed to build a RW 16159 in Russet then after completed will re-dye in the correct deep dark almost black dye. This will allow the threads to be redyed (as per the original re-dye jobs done by the AAF). John will use ELC knitts that I will send him rather then use his stock ones. For the AAF transfer I will order The Mash water transfer product due to the fact that the originals were of the water type not heat or painted on. The leather name strip (SSW brand) willl have my name not V. Hilts. I'm thinking the Re-dye will wear much like Mcqueen's with the Russet showing through the dark brown dye with use and age. If anyone has ideas to improve "the work in progress" please shout out. I also want to thank JC and Charlie for working together on this for me it's not every day you find companies willing to work together in bring a product to market. Robin

Persimmon

Thanks David for the link to the images.
I see it took a little while to get them onto the site in the correct size but its
wonderful to see them and the great looking jacket.
Best wishes,
Alan

cmk-2

Hey Alan,
As you can see the jacket came out GREAT! I have been wearing it almost daily and the leather just gets better and better. I have NOT Hot water treated it as I'm afraid of shrinkage but it is aging very nicely. J.C. does a materful job with his jackets. Just ask him to make a Great Escape A-2 he knows what to do and now with his new knitts it's that much better. BTW I got the leather name tag from MASH from Japan. Took 3 DAYS for them to produce it and get it from Japan to my front door in the good 'ol USA. Robin

Persimmon

Robin.
Thanks for the tip. Email sent.
By the way re the name tag I have had tags made in the UK by Eastman for my jackets .
Why did you choose to buy from MASH.
Is it so much better than one you can buy from the USA ?

Alan

cmk-2

Yea speaking with Charlie D.from HPA and J.C. they both thought that MASH has the best name tag. Also I got the name tag MUCH quicker from MASH in Japan then if I was to go with any one else, even in the same country. Robin