• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Type A-2 US Navy deck jacket

Peter Graham

I've been curious about these jackets since they started cropping up in ebay searches for "A-2 jacket" and I eventually bought one last week. They sell very cheaply and this 74 dated jacket was no exception. It appears to be unissued and apart from the odd moth nip to the cuffs is in brand new condition. THE A-2 seems to be the natural succesor to the N-1 and some of the vintage features are carried over such as the small tooth zipper and button up windflap as well as the slash pockets and internal knit cufs. It's comparable to the N-1 in warmth being lined in an OD fleece material. The shell is made of the same weight cotton as the M-65 but is a shade or two darker. The shape and cut is identical to the N-1. The single patch pocket is an odd feature and older jackets appear to have a scalloped pocket flap. A great feature is the easy tighten, quick release buckles on the side straps. The ability to tighten the jacket in at the hips make it very warm. I can find no info on these jackets but they appear to have been issued from the early 60's to late 70's. I reckon the A-2 is a great budget priced jacket with vintage appeal and is warm enough, with layering for sub zero temperatures. Here's some pics. Given a few washes and some fading, I reckon it will look pretty good.
A-2005-3.jpg

A-2004-4.jpg

A-2001-4.jpg

A-2003-3.jpg

A-2002-4.jpg

watchmanjimg

Peter, I'm sure you knew I'd chime in on this. :lol:

These are excellent jackets. I have one that I purchased while in the Army over 20 years ago and it's still in very good shape. I also have a Vietnam-era example in near mint condition with unit markings on the back (sadly, from a stateside unit).

There is also an "impermeable" version made from coated nylon twill with buoyancy-enhancing foam interlining and corduroy collar. While I'm sure it's just the thing for stationary duty on windy decks, it's considerably less useful to the average guy than the A-2. Enjoy yours, it looks great on you!

Jim

Cobblers161

I'll second that, I love these jackets. I've had a later blue version for for a couple of years now and it's real beater and I could never part with it.

As an added bonus it has some lettering on the rear with a passing nod to 60's counter-culture, hopefully this adds in large amounts to my street cred:

_SWH2495-1.jpg

I'm looking for a green one in large just now but they appear to be thin on the ground lately.

Nice catch Pete!

bazelot

Great jacket and great fit Peter. Except for the tabs and the breast pocket it looks very very similar to its WWII brethren. It's actually a very good alternative to wearing one from WWII. I am always afraid to damage mine.

watchmanjimg

Cobblers161 said:
I'll second that, I love these jackets. I've had a later blue version for for a couple of years now and it's real beater and I could never part with it.

As an added bonus it has some lettering on the rear with a passing nod to 60's counter-culture, hopefully this adds in large amounts to my street cred:

_SWH2495-1.jpg

I'm looking for a green one in large just now but they appear to be thin on the ground lately.

Nice catch Pete!

Nice-looking blue one, Steve! I assume it was produced well subsequent to the psychedelic era, but that's the first thing I thought of when I saw it too. :lol:

As far as the rarity of these, this has been my experience for many years. I'd say this is largely due to the Navy issuing them as organizational items, which were likely turned in upon the transfer or separation of the service member. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, over 20 years ago I found 2-3 unissued examples in Large at a Colorado Springs surplus store. I bought one and still have it. Otherwise I've seen very few around and they're generally in rough shape when I do find them. I did pick up a very clean Medium for $5 a couple years back, but it's snug on me. Happy hunting!

Atticus

I've always liked A-2 deck jackets. I think of them as the Navy's version of the M-65. I've got two...both from 1974. One is unmarked and almost mint. The other has a big "CVN 69" stencilled on the back and "I LIKE IKE" in smaller letters above the chest pocket.

I wear them on the boat in the late fall and winter months. They are darned warm and comfortable in damp, cool weather...especially when worn over a wool shirt.

AF

Peter Graham

The blue one looks cool Steve and the stencil is wicked ! The idea never occurred to me that they may be in any way a rare or collectable jacket. Maybe I'll buy up a few more while they are still cheap ! There are quite a few at reasonable prices on here but I suspect that this store is rarely updated. Most may well be long gone. http://www.vintagetrends.com/military/t ... ats&ST=A-2

MikeyB-17

Hmmm, I like the look of that. Always liked the N-1 but hard to find one in decent shape cheap(and I'm not paying Buzz Rickson prices!). This looks like a viable alternative. What sort of lining is it?

Peter Graham

MikeyB-17 said:
What sort of lining is it?
Mike, it's a thick man made fleece material in a slightly lighter OD than the shell. Sleeves are lined too. Very warm and durable. Great jacket. I'm well chuffed. It fits true to the label. You'd need a large.

MikeyB-17

Yes, cheers Rich, I started sniffing around after I saw this thread and saw that one-as usual everyone who came home after their military service used their old jackets for painting the house! I'll keep my eye out.

watchmanjimg

MikeyB-17 said:
Yes, cheers Rich, I started sniffing around after I saw this thread and saw that one-as usual everyone who came home after their military service used their old jackets for painting the house! I'll keep my eye out.

I doubt that painting the house would result in such a uniform marking. If you look closely, there were unit numbers on the back of that jacket. I suspect the black paint was meant to cover these as a form of "de-milling," whether done by Uncle Sam or a civilian owner.

MikeyB-17

I agree they're probably covering something up there-I wasn't referring specifically to that jacket. Several of the ones I looked at had paint on them which obviously not been put there deliberately!

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
MikeyB-17 said:
What sort of lining is it?
Mike, it's a thick man made fleece material in a slightly lighter OD than the shell. Sleeves are lined too. Very warm and durable.
And probably more comfortable if worn over just a t-shirt than an N-1.