• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two Newish Originals to the Collection

CBI

Hello gents. Some quick pics of my new original Aero 21996. Thanks to Andrew (Roughwear) for letting me take this off his hands. If I could have chosen any original dream jacket (within reason), this would be/IS it. Its my favorite contract in my favorite color with the ideal amount of grain and wear for me. I am down to 4 original A-2's, this being my fave. The B-15A is an original RW contract that I have shown pics of before but it has now a new period mouton collar (the old one was brittle and falling apart) and new knits from MASH. The old ones had a million moth holes in them. I love the fit of both. As is always the case, my shortish arms get a little lost but had I been issued these in WW2, this would be the fit. These are marked size 44's and I am a 44R.

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Roughwear

The Aero fits you well John. I'm glad it has gone to a good home. The RW B-15 looks superb with the replaced knits and mouton. :)

TankBuster

Very nice!
The Aero 21996 is my favorite contract. I have 2 in 44's and could never sell them. The way the top finish wears off and the reddish undertones show thru make it a very sharp jacket!

mindful

i love the 21996 contract and im contemplating changing my gw order from areo 1938 to the 21996 that jacket rocks

CBI

thanks all. I to have a deposit on a GW A-2 and will probably go with the 21996

767fo

Congrats John,

Both jackets look great but the Aero could not be nicer. Enjoy!!!

GoodTimesGone

That Aero has some of the best color/grain/patina to it that I've ever seen on vintage leather. Absolutely stunning! Looks great worn, too.

TankBuster

mindful said:
i love the 21996 contract and im contemplating changing my gw order from areo 1938 to the 21996 that jacket rocks

I don't think a repro would get that same look with undertones coming thru unless John Chapman has mastered that as well ;) ? It's a characteristic that I have only seen on original 21996 jackets. I think that's the reason so many people like them and why they look so great!!

CBI

agreed - the real patina of a 70 year jacket is hard to match but in terms of a repro, I still love the cut and drape of this contract. Who knows what I will go with? I guess it kind of doesn't matter as there are many cool contracts options!

Yes, love any contracts where the undercoat color comes through so well!

mindful

CBI said:
agreed - the real patina of a 70 year jacket is hard to match but in terms of a repro, I still love the cut and drape of this contract. Who knows what I will go with? I guess it kind of doesn't matter as there are many cool contracts options!

Yes, love any contracts where the undercoat color comes through so well!

yes for me its also about the cut and the drape of this contract that i like, i know GWs not going to be the same as an original but from what ive seen i like the 21996 contract that GW makes i know you can never beat originals as they are the templates for reproduction jackets

A

Anonymous

Love the reddish undertones of the Aero. Looks fantastic!

The Aero 21996 is my favorite contract. I have 2 in 44's and could never sell them. The way the top finish wears off and the reddish undertones show thru make it a very sharp jacket!

That Aero has some of the best color/grain/patina to it that I've ever seen on vintage leather. Absolutely stunning! Looks great worn, too.

I don't think a repro would get that same look with undertones coming thru unless John Chapman has mastered that as well ? It's a characteristic that I have only seen on original 21996 jackets. I think that's the reason so many people like them and why they look so great!!

agreed - the real patina of a 70 year jacket is hard to match but in terms of a repro...

What a coincidence!!!
BK just tested a new horse leather that has the exact same patina. It develops it very quickly.

See here the example
in the pocket of a 1 day old jacket.

IMG_2837.jpg

What do you think????

TankBuster

Platon,

That's some great looking leather! Looks like you have the perfect stuff to start pumping out these Aero 21996 contracts! I figured I would get called on that remark sooner or later :lol: !!

I have also seen Roughwears where the topcoat has revealed a lighter undertone, but not the reddish tint of the Aero. Although I've learned long ago to never say never.

CBI

Looks good - some of John hides do this also. In addition, he can do some adding/spraying of dyes for similar effect...............

mindful

PLATON said:
Love the reddish undertones of the Aero. Looks fantastic!

I don't think a repro would get that same look with undertones coming thru unless John Chapman has mastered that as well ? It's a characteristic that I have only seen on original 21996 jackets. I think that's the reason so many people like them and why they look so great!!

agreed - the real patina of a 70 year jacket is hard to match but in terms of a repro...

What a coincidence!!!
would be interesting to see how well bk could make the 21996 contract hint hint
BK just tested a new horse leather that has the exact same patina. It develops it very quickly.

See here the example
in the pocket of a 1 day old jacket.

IMG_2837.jpg

What do you think????