• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two Good Wear Jackets

kiltie

I recently picked up the Rough Wear 27752 from the sale section on Good Wear's site. The leather, I understand, is the same as the one in this jacket - http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13308 - posted by Persimmon.

First up, a few pictures. I don't ordinarily play dress-up, but I wanted to set the tone for the fit. Plus, how often do you really get to play dress-up?

IMG_7282.jpg

IMG_7283.jpg

IMG_7284.jpg

This jacket is a 48, and ordinarily I wear a 46. I think the fit is still not too bad, especially considering the fit of these things in many period photos, but the thing that tipped the scales was this ( and please pardon my...entire self. I took these pics just a bit ago, right after waking up )

IMG_7586.jpg

IMG_7590.jpg

IMG_7591.jpg

The sweater fits nicely under it, and means I can wear an A-2 in all but the coldest weather I'm accustomed to seeing.
Other than to say this jacket is extra-awesome, I think I'd be preaching to the choir when it comes to any sort of adjective laden review. I'll just say I second everything folks have said. One thing that can't pass without comment, however, is how enjoyable it is to have customer/seller interaction with John Chapman and his sales director over at Good Wear. They are very clever at making you feel like it was a choice to buy from GW ( smiley smiley, etc... ). Great jacket and great folks.

Next is a goat skin Bronco in my more typical 46 -

IMG_7276.jpg

IMG_7274.jpg

IMG_7279.jpg

I purchased this jacket from another member on the forum a little while back, and I think I'm owner #3, so it seemed kinda silly to post it up again, but what the heck -
The fit of the Bronco is on the money. Further, after reading post after post of "goat skin converts", I can certainly see it. I was a little skeptical myself, at first. This is a perfect windbreaker, whereas, at least where I live, the horse feels like you're starting to move into more earnest coat wearing. Also, as personal preferences go, I used to feel that somehow a collar stand meant more quality or substantiality, due to the extra effort and material. Naive, though that may be, the Bronco has really sold me on jackets without the stand. This thing - honestly: at an age when these kind of things shouldn't be factor, this jacket makes me feel cool, man.

Persimmon

Two fine jackets there.

Of course I have to praise the Monarch as I am a wearer but I also love that Bronco and it looks so good on you.

Oh and no bad thing with being owner 3 and showing/posting it again.
Someone else has just done some breaking it in for you.

Wear them well and nothing wrong with dressing up.
By the way - original shirt or repro and if the later, from where ?

SuinBruin

Love the Bronco. I have two from John, one each in horse and goat. Your pics make me want to dig out the goatskin one right now.

ButteMT61

Both look great! I tried that 48, but it was a tad too small on me. It was made for another (former) member, and is more like a 46+.
Lovely jacket - I was bummed it didn't fit me as it was a great deal. Glad it found a good home. It's a perfect fit.

kiltie

Thanks, fellas!
Persimmon: the pants and shirt are both the cotton officer model from What Price Glory -

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=4607&bc=no

SuinBruin: I'd never have thought too long or hard about a goatskin jacket before this one. Now I have to wonder what I've been missing.

Butte: I wonder if your having tried it accounts for me getting ornery* when I put it on. Sort of like the movies where the guy gets a serial killer's arm sewn on after an accident.

Incidentally, the caps are Diamond Flighter ( top ) and an original Luxemburg ( pictured with the Bronco ).

*I jest

SuinBruin

kiltie said:
SuinBruin: I'd never have thought too long or hard about a goatskin jacket before this one. Now I have to wonder what I've been missing.
Goat is supple, tough, and authentic for period A-2s and Navy jackets. Honestly I think it's probably the best of all jacket leathers. Thankfully I don't have to consign myself to just one jacket, but if I did, it would probably be goat.

ButteMT61

SuinBruin said:
kiltie said:
Goat is supple, tough, and authentic for period A-2s and Navy jackets. Honestly I think it's probably the best of all jacket leathers. Thankfully I don't have to consign myself to just one jacket, but if I did, it would probably be goat.

I was not a goat guy before. I have two cape jackets - another Bronco, and an A-1 GW. I've been watching lots of the recent GW in russet goat and when I had the chance to pickup the Aero Bronco in russet goat, I grabbed it. Now, I'm wondering why I was so stubborn about goat before. I still probably prefer HH overall, but I've really come around on the goat. You're right though - just one jacket? Hellz no. :lol:

kiltie

Thanks again, all.

I saw that Aero, Butte. Just such a laid back profile. Perfect balance between militarily smart and straight up cool.

ButteMT61

kiltie said:
Thanks again, all.

I saw that Aero, Butte. Just such a laid back profile. Perfect balance between militarily smart and straight up cool.

Gotta show some love for the lowly Bronco. But I won't lie - there's easily another 4-5 I really want :)

CBI

Its all good - both look fab and will look even better after lots of wear! The goat is getting more raves partially due to you being the third owner - its been worn!!!!!

This is the way to go!!!!!!!!!! - one GW in horse and one in goat. too hard to choose one over the other!

Roughwear

I particularly like the fit of the Bronco as the cut is just superb. Although there were some original russet RW 27752s produced more were a darker seal. I have never seen an original 27752 in this caramel shade, but it looks fine on this repro. Enjoy both jackets.

blackrat2

Both of them look really good...as has been said before and indeed by myself johns goat is awesome
Andrew the colour of the RW probably isn't as "caramel" as it appears in the pics...and like johns seal can really change colour depending on the light conditions

kiltie

Roughwear said:
I particularly like the fit of the Bronco as the cut is just superb. Although there were some original russet RW 27752s produced more were a darker seal. I have never seen an original 27752 in this caramel shade, but it looks fine on this repro. Enjoy both jackets.

Thanks for your input, Andrew, as yours is a valued opinion since first reading your posts over on the hat forum.
If Mr. Chapman did not wear glasses prior to his dealing with me, I'm sure he does now. My communications would have put Ted Kaczynski to shame in their rambling nature. Aside from lengthy BS-ing, I hit him from every possible angle on the ins and outs of the Rough Wear, and he assured me that it was an authentic color. Too, the thread is not the typical OD on most reproductions, though that concern was also laid to rest.
To be frankly subjective, the brown thread was a real hang up for me, as I really like the contrast of the OD. But what I was told, beyond the authenticity of the brown thread, was that there were instances of both threads on the same jacket ( or at least, that's what I understood ). That would be a cool way to have a jacket done up, I think.

Roughwear

kiltie said:
Roughwear said:

Thanks for your input, Andrew, as yours is a valued opinion since first reading your posts over on the hat forum.
If Mr. Chapman did not wear glasses prior to his dealing with me, I'm sure he does now. My communications would have put Ted Kaczynski to shame in their rambling nature. Aside from lengthy BS-ing, I hit him from every possible angle on the ins and outs of the Rough Wear, and he assured me that it was an authentic color. Too, the thread is not the typical OD on most reproductions, though that concern was also laid to rest.
To be frankly subjective, the brown thread was a real hang up for me, as I really like the contrast of the OD. But what I was told, beyond the authenticity of the brown thread, was that there were instances of both threads on the same jacket ( or at least, that's what I understood ). That would be a cool way to have a jacket done up, I think.

It is likely to be that its your photos as the jacket is darker on John's site and the detailed shots show a russet shade as opposed to caramel.