• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tour of a Lancaster with a veteran pilot.

Andrew

I love hearing from these guys, he's doing well at his age too. Hard to imagine moving about inside with a full Irvinsuit over service dress, parachute and wiring...

Thanks for that and can you also point me to the link to page 3?

A

Anonymous

Sadly Andrew, THAT page 3 is not a tradition upheld by the Telegraph.

Dave

Steve27752

Thanks for posting the link. I had the pleasure of a tour of the Lanc after it was re-spared a few years ago while at St Athens.
And I believe that the bomber crews should be thanked and properly recognised with a medal.

A

Anonymous

You're most welcome Steve.
I too had the pleasure of a tour inside a Lanc'. Whilst living in Calgary in the 90's I went to Nanton where a small group of vets (mostly groundcrew) had bought a Lanc' years before and were slowly doing her up with the intention of getting her to fly. For a donation you could crawl around inside completely unsupervised. The whole of the fuselage was complete and the wings were well underway.

http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/

The thought of being cooped up in there at night for 12 hours with the thought that your world could coming crashing in around you at any time, freezing cold, isolated if you were a gunner, would test any man's nerves to breaking point. Perhaps even worse was being ont he ground waiting for the next op' though as I suspect that once in the air that training would kick in and you would be too focussed on the job in hand.

Dave