• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Repair or Not to Repair Vintage Knits

B-Man2

I recently aquired a vintage A2 in relatively mint condition. However, the knits in the waistband have about seven or eight, 7mm to 9 mm moth holes. I've taken the jacket to a person that has done repair and restoration work for me on A2's and have been advised that he can repair the knits in a manner that would be "pleasing to the eye" and would protect the knits from further damage.

Since I plan to wear the jacket on those infrequent occassions when it's appropriate...(WWII air shows etc) and the holes are in the waistband that will stretch when worn, thus causing the holes to enlarge, my questions are;

1. Should I have the repairs made?
2. From a collectors point of view, will the value of the jacket decrease if the knits have been repaired?

I'm looking for some opinions here, so please feel free to post and explain your response.

Thanks
B-man2

Roughwear

If, as you say, you intend to wear the A2 to the odd air show getting the knits carefully repaired would be sensible. Unless they are beyond repair they should not be replaced as in the eyes of some collectors this would devalue the jacket. If you wanted the jacket just for display then leave them as they are!

Jaguar46

Roughwear said:
If, as you say, you intend to wear the A2 to the odd air show getting the knits carefully repaired would be sensible. Unless they are beyond repair they should not be replaced as in the eyes of some collectors this would devalue the jacket. If you wanted the jacket just for display then leave them as they are!

There are eyes of collectors that might object to restorative work on an old jacket, and there are jacket buyers who would be more interested if the knits were in wearable condition. I am in the latter category. If you have the Smithsonian inquiring, leave the knits as is.

I say if the spot repairs on the moth holes aren't to your liking, then replace the knits with as high a quality knit as you can find. (Including the cuffs as well as the waistband.)

deand

Roughwear said:

Agreed.

dean

A

Anonymous

I would only wear a mint original.
In case I find one and buy it I don't care if it will be devalued because I would keep it.
So yes, for a jacket I 'd like to keep and wear I would replace the knits.

For a jacket that I 'd plan to sell, I wouldn't touch them so it doesn't get devalued.