• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To patch or not to patch? Vintage BRILL G1

Thomas Koehle

Folks,

i own this civvi-market G1 made by BRILL - it is definately NOT issued but like the lable says "Golden Thread".

I always like personalized stuff and since the backpiece on my 5Star A2 made by Steve McNeely is that awesome i started to consider to maybe also have some noseart on one of my G1.

For sure i would NOT mess up one of my older issued jackets but i do not see any historical significance in a "mall jacket".

I usually do not ask that often for opinions but in this case i'm not quiet sure which way to go: keep her untouched or personalize her.

p5vro5N.jpg

vxa05e5.jpg

Un2TF7X.jpg

As you see on the pics the collar is totally off in its Teddy-like consistency ...

What's your opinion gentlemen?

Thomas

Last edited:

Erwin

Hey Thomas,

In my opinion, you can do whatever you want, patch it or paint some logo. I believe that it is up to the person, but I don't see any issue with patching or painting a USN flight jacket, even a WW2 or early 50s one [when patches or painting is historically correct and the owner likes this].

Patch or paint, wear, and enjoy it, Thomas - these jackets may not be the coolest G1s, but still great US-made vintage jackets.

Thomas Koehle

I think i would not change a WW2 jacket or even a Korea-ear jacket.

If i would still own my 1992 ORCHARD i would also not have a problem to modify it but i would hesitate to modify any older jackets.

Thomas Koehle

Looks damn cool . Nice Thomas !

Thanks gentlemen for the positive feedback!

I was kinda "inbetween" whether or not to get that "noseart" painted but since it is a civilian version i decided to finally get it done.

I'd definitely NOT mess up an issued mil-version with any mods but keep 'em in their original condition.

I developed the artwork/layout witht he theme together with the artist but well - the major work was done by him which is obviuos ...

Next time maybe "HANOI HANNA" or "NAPALM NELLY" ... :)