• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Time-worn', vintage look: not just flight jackets!

Aviator

The used look on guitars is "in" for some years now. Gibson is selling their historic Les Pauls with this worn look. The look of the guitars in the link is a touch too much if you ask me. If you store your guitar in your garden for 30 years you might achieve this kind of weathering. ;)
Even classic cars enthusiasts are restoring their cars with artificial patina.
If you have no time to wear your jacket in, to play your guitar or to drive your car...

Andrew

Aviator said:
Even classic cars enthusiasts are restoring their cars with artificial patina.

As the owner of a 41 year old classic car i'm certainly not part of this trend- i'm currently spending $ on bodywork to fix what mother nature does best in a few years- rust. The patina i'm after is the one it had when it rolled out of the showroom. :cool:

johnwayne

Somehow I don't think I'll be getting the 'sander' on my Tele or Strat - all I ever do is polish 'em!!

wop54

Its a strange world: the same people that want to look younger want things that look older... :?

Dr H

jacketimp said:
Dr H said:
Nor my Hofner Violin bass - the very thought :eek:

waht's it's fair value........

i'm gonna roll a low ball your way......the starting point for a haggle[/quote

1963 model, dog lead strap...gaffa tape on the upper bout (looks like a set list)...can't quite make the name on it...Paul McCurtney?...Paul McCortnery...?

Has to be worth at least $100...maybe $150 on a good day on Ebay!

Back in the early 80s when I was at college I worked every Saturday in a music shop...I paid £5 (but then pre-credit crunch £5 was worth real money ;) ) to a customer for the unvarnished body and separate bound/fretted neck of another Hofner voilin bass (1964 according to the serial number). Couldn't believe that it was real :eek: , but I glued the bits together, wired in some period pickups, added individual machine heads, etc. These days I would give it to professional to respray and all of the parts are available as replacements, but the basses were less valuable in those days and as a student :roll: I didn't have the money to pay those prices. I played it in that condition for some years and when the time came for it to go about 5 years ago, it still made over £500 on Ebay (for two authentic parts, accurately described)...crazy money...

It was the first bass that I hankered after when I saw McCartney playing his (purely down to the shape and the flat, 'doinky' sound). I've had much better basses since both double basses and electric basses (in terms of quality and sophistication, active electronics and so forth), but you can't beat the 500/1 in terms of ease of playing (short scale neck, light weight, flat wound strings) and pure nostalgia :cool: (inescapbale - and I was born in '64 so my first memories of the Beatles are really from the very late 1960s or early 70s).

havocpaul

Back when in a punk band I found a semi-acoustic bass guitar in a Croydon guitar shop that had belonged to Bill Wyman (with provedence), a steal at £25.00; although the vocalist I used it live a few times as it looked so good.