• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This one could be interesting.

442RCT

Looks to be a neat collection. The seller doesn't appear to have had any experience selling these type of items. It would have never shown up on my normal search queries as it had no tags for 'A 2' nor 'flight jacket'.

rich

Lignemaginot said:
Can't imagine selling a family hierloom like that.

This has come up before I know, but I still wonder how on earth he can do that :( :( :eek: :( ?????
Not for me to say, but it doesn't sit right.

Andrew

Madness, but I guess there are plenty of jackets/ other personal items which actually do stay in families that we don't see and it's only these that pop up on Ebay occasionally that we notice because it does seem quite unreal. Hopefully these a re a tiny minority.

Jaydee

I always feel sad when I see these things happen. As LS said, with the number of airmen trained for the war it's probably a small percentage of families selling stuff. It seems like if you had a Father / Grandfather who valued his service and experience enough to hold on to his jacket all these years, you would find a way to save it. At least frame it if you can't wear it. It will be interesting to see what happens to the FJ market when more numbers of our brave WWII airmen depart for their last mission. And what happens 10 or 15 years down the road, when there is no one left.
-JD

TankBuster

Jaydee said:
I always feel sad when I see these things happen. As LS said, with the number of airmen trained for the war it's probably a small percentage of families selling stuff. It seems like if you had a Father / Grandfather who valued his service and experience enough to hold on to his jacket all these years, you would find a way to save it. At least frame it if you can't wear it. It will be interesting to see what happens to the FJ market when more numbers of our brave WWII airmen depart for their last mission. And what happens 10 or 15 years down the road, when there is no one left.
-JD

The answer may depend on the financial well being of the family members taking over their fathers items. Many have no idea of the value of such items. Sadly, once many hear the can get 2,000+ for their dads old war stuff, it's off to Ebay as fast as possible. :(

chicken

My dad and I shockingly found out few years ago my mom donated all my dad's WWII stuff to my old high school. I have no idea where they went. :cry:

Chris217

Or, it could be some huckster antique dealer who got it for next to nothing at an estate sale, and is now claiming it "as her dearly departed fathers belongings" in order to create interest and enhance the sale.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
Madness, but I guess there are plenty of jackets/ other personal items which actually do stay in families that we don't see and it's only these that pop up on Ebay occasionally that we notice because it does seem quite unreal. Hopefully these a re a tiny minority.

As a group, we are always outraged when this happens ... understandable, as it's our area of interest. But anyone involved in clearing the estate of a family member will know, that in most cases, and for a variety of reasons, it isn't possible to keep everything.

Personally I'm happy to see these items sold on eBay. It ensures that they reach a good home, and are preserved.

Jaydee

deeb7 said:
As a group, we are always outraged when this happens ... understandable, as it's our area of interest. But anyone involved in clearing the estate of a family member will know, that in most cases, and for a variety of reasons, it isn't possible to keep everything.

Personally I'm happy to see these items sold on eBay. It ensures that they reach a good home, and are preserved.

Amen to a good home! I understand that you can't keep everything, but some of these jackets that come up are not ordinary items to make a few bucks on. I guess A lot of people nowadays won't think twice about selling their family history for chump change. $3,000 is nothing to trade for a priceless heirloom. What if the Great Great Grandson winds up being a USAF Bomber Pilot for goodness sakes! Don't you think he would want to have it?

Andrew

deeb7 said:
Leadsky said:

Well in reality this is the only way i've managed to collect anything as every Vet I know seems to have thousands of decendants to hand their gear onto :evil: and- I like to think i'm looking after it all. I just wish that the history of the items in my care came with them.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jaydee said:
What if the Great Great Grandson winds up being a USAF Bomber Pilot for goodness sakes! Don't you think he would want to have it?

Yes, of course he would, but we don't know the circumstances ... perhaps there isn't going to be a Great Great Grandson.

TankBuster

deeb7 said:
Leadsky said:

Well said David ;) I would not have any collection at all if it weren't for such sales!