• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The wizard works his magic once again...

bseal

What color would you say those knits might be...you know, on your computer?

Is the new black.JPG

Maverickson

Hi Coolhand,
There is no convincing everyone. Some are steadfast to USN specifications. In reality all WW-2 jacket makers only loosely followed given jacket specifications.
Something that became very evident to me through many years of hands on experience and the school of hard knocks.That is verses opinions from arm chair critics.
Cheers, Dave

Last edited:
Does anyone know which jacket makers of the M422 thru 7823D made jackets with knits that did not match the color of the jacket (dark brown). Any original period photos appreciated.

It is expected that knits and collars can change to a lighter shade over decades of age and sun exposure.

My question has to do with newly made original USN issue jackets, regardless of specification type or era produced.

Attachments

• 20210504_111949.jpg
    20210504_111949.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 40

mulceber

I don't know about knits, but I think it's very clear with the salmon-colored liners that those were not originally the brown color required by the specs, since the liner wasn't exposed to that much sunlight, and parts of it weren't exposed to any at all. Moreover, you can look at the back side of it and see that, while the color is darker, it's still nowhere near brown.

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,

Just finished up restoring a 1943 model size 46 Monarch (representing one of 2% of those built from this contract) AN-J-3A. In fact my second from this same 20570 contract.

Thought to use dull purple colored knits like periodically found on jackets from this same model Monarch.

IMG_20231217_094525990~2.jpg

Ironically the following 20570 Monarch AN-J-3A must have also been built using the same batch of hides as my size 46.

FB_IMG_1702403897556~2.jpg
FB_IMG_1702394329270.jpg
FB_IMG_1702394322042.jpg

No , I do not believe that the dull purple colored knits found on that all original example seen above began as a brown color.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

bazelot

i just caught up on the whole knit color drama. I have literally had hundreds of WWII flight jackets over the years and I still have around 70 of them and I have seen my fair share of WWII purplish knits. The most blatant one was a G&F jacket that was in mint condition (I actually had 2 G&F with purple knits). I believe that jacket manufacturers used the same suppliers for knits and waistbands and color varied tremendously between those supplies.

Lord Flashheart

Credit where it's due Luke, pics of your Monarch AN-J-3A sold this jacket to me. The hide is really characterful and draped beautifully right from the word go. To be honest I've not yet had a chance to wear it properly but I think this is going to be a really nice bit of goat.

coolhandluke

Credit where it's due Luke, pics of your Monarch AN-J-3A sold this jacket to me. The hide is really characterful and draped beautifully right from the word go. To be honest I've not yet had a chance to wear it properly but I think this is going to be a really nice bit of goat.

I'm absolutely thrilled for you! It makes me happy to see a twin jacket out there. I'm not sure if Dave has done any other AN-J-3A's in that hide.