• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the USAAF Shoulder Roundel

A

Anonymous

What do you think about it?
Do you like it?

Which type you like?
The painted?
The leather?
The cloth? (embroidered)
The cloth with bullion wire?

Please state your reasons.

thanks

TankBuster

That depends on the way you are going to use it. On a flight jacket?
If that is what you mean then and I had to pick one, I have always liked the look of the multi leather versions used in the CBI.

Dr H

Ditto - the multi-layer CBI emblem that Paul has on my old GW Perry 23377 is top class.

A

Anonymous

I meant on A-2 in particular
the CBI is not round
and I am interested in your opinion about the round shoulder patches, e.g. the round ones that appear here

!CFkgrYgEWk~$(KGrHqIOKjoE0YnkdDQ2BNVlKtTiD!~~_3.JPG

a2jacketpatches

For me? Theater made Multi-piece leather, Theater made cloth and bullion. Not crazy about painted directly on a jacket or leather patch unless incised as well.

A

Anonymous

how to distinguish the theater made from the others?

a2jacketpatches

A little crude compared to machine embroidered ( like the pic you posted ) Possible odd shades of color, maybe on twill, silk, velvet, pretty much anything goes. When I say "Theater made" guess I mean anything and everything but standard machine embroidered made in U.S.

Dr H

Dr H said:
Ditto - the multi-layer CBI emblem that Paul has on my old GW Perry 23377 is top class.

The Perry has an emblem on each shoulder - one CBI the other as you have depicted; both aged multilayer leather.

Roughwear

I especially like the leather 8th AF shoulder roundal because it is rarer and more durable than the transfer decal. Here's the one on one of my Cable Raincoat A2s.

049-1.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Roughwear said:
I especially like the leather 8th AF shoulder roundal because it is rarer and more durable than the transfer decal. Here's the one on one of my Cable Raincoat A2s.

049-1.jpg

Is this incised or tooled? cut or just pressed in detail?

Peter Graham

Roughwear said:

I'm not crazy about shoulder roundels at all but the above one looks great because it's an original on an original jacket and has developed a beautiful patina. A brand new one on a repro jacket would not be very appealing. The same applies to the transfers. They can look great on originals but not on repros. I can't recall ever seeing an embroidered roundel on an A-2 but I'm sure they were applied on occasion.