• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Russet Horsehide from LostWorlds

Doug C

Does anyone know what tanning methods are used for the russet horsehide that LostWorlds uses ? It's quite stiff when brand new,almost cardboard like and softens up after a bunch of wear, etc. I figure it's too stiff to have been chrome tanned, probably veg tanned. But I'm pretty sure it's pigment dyed, well that's my assumption. But would they have pigment dyed veg tanned horsehide? I sort of thought that most of the pigment was sprayed on chrome leathers back in the old days and Veg tanned would have gotten an aniline or simi-aniline finish.

Falcon_52

Doug -

John L. is correct. Lost Worlds uses chrome-tanned, drum-dyed, and spray finished horsehide. That's what Stuart told me a couple of months back when I asked about their black horsehide. My russet B-2 appears to be that way also.

Noel

Doug C

ok thanks guys, there goes all I've read about chrome tanned leather being softer than veg leather... guess that's not always true. Perhaps it's just because it's HH. Either way I do like that stuff.

John Lever

Doug,
The leather is undoubtably very tough, but the painted surface has a darker base coat beneath.
Several of us have owned LW jackets only to sell them on to buy something else with greater levels of comfort . They truly are bullet proof, but very hard to wear.

Vcruiser

My first repro was a LW Dubow. The HH that they use seems quite unique to LW. Often vertical stretch mark type grain along with a very heavy almost impervious finish. The dark..or black base undercoat showing through can appear reguardless of wear areas or creases but can seem to bleed through as permanent very obvious areas in some cases. A few members have posted pics of this in previous versions of the VLJ.
Van

Falcon_52

For sure, the top finish on their horsehide is really tough and pretty much waterproof. Interestingly, when the top finish starts to degrade with wear and stretching of the leather, rain and snow can start to penetrate through the leather (thank goodness) and actually it helps to soften the hide and make it more comfortable. Also, I've never treated my B-2 with any conditioner or dressing. I'm not sure it will ever need it.

I also like the striations in certain parts of the leather as Van mentioned above. It gives the leather a different character.

Noel

Doug C

Yes, I have owned a LW's A1 in russet HH, and actually appreciated the stiff new feel of it and the the eventual graining. I knew there'd be a paid off for that initial stiffness. Watching it transform was part of the fun. I did keep it long enough to break it in but sold it not long after that.. I sure wouldn't have liked a darker under color showing through, but a lighter one would have been awesome. Too bad about that.