• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New Nomex

I thought I would post pics of what the U.S. Navy Fleet Aviators are wearing these days. When I received mine they only had tan. Now green is available.

Here is a picture of the green from the manufacturers website.

Rutger

Is it a flight suit replacement, to be combined with separate trousers?
Is it to be worn over the flight suit?

ButteMT61

I'm sure in 70 years guys will be here talking about how cool they are, and how JC's grandson is making great repops for only $16,500! With a six year turn around. I jest, but wow, not exactly inspired is it. :lol:

Rutger said:
Is it a flight suit replacement, to be combined with separate trousers?
Is it to be worn over the flight suit?

It is meant to be worn over the flight suit. I received mine when they were still in the test phase, but apparently they are starting to issue them out in the squadrons.

From talking to the PRs, guys that issue our flight gear in a squadron, the CWU-36P and CWU-45 are being phased out. I am guessing that this will be the replacement.

I am not a big fan of the look of this jacket. Maybe because I am one of the "old guys" in the squadron. I still wear my CWU-36P. The young guys in the squadrons I have been in seem to love them. I do have to admit that it is comfortable.

Rutger

I can see some comfy arguments: the back is covered until half way the butt, and it is the cloth type of nomex (similar to that of which the CVC jacket is made) rather than the nylonish type of which the CW36/45 are made. The way the wrists can be adjusted also is an improvement.
Very practical, but it won't fill that hole in my collection.

I can imagine them in Star Trek though.

Monsoon

I dunno, I'm kinda digging it. I'd wear it if I was issued one. I'd wear my fleece when I was flying sometimes.

Members online

Latest posts