• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The modern leather flight jacket

watchmanjimg

The pics aren't the best but it looks like the design borrows heavily from the CWU. I've seen better interpretations, such as the Gibson & Barnes for example.

I used to have a black leather ALPHA CWU that I wore to work (LAX Airport Operations). It was functional for my job and was a good thick heavy leather making it a good motorcycle jacket as well. That worked out well for me since I rode my Harley to work every day. I think it was a way better jacket than the one on Ebay.

c5-L.jpg

Rutger

I can't judge the quality, the fit or the mall factor. I'm not fond of the large pockets and pocket flaps.
The colour looks good, and it doesn't appear baggy.
The only way to judge would be to buy one an wear it for a year.
Is the price fair for an off the shelf jacket, or can one expect it to fall apart in three years of average wear?
I'm not fond of leather interpretations of nylon/cloth jackets anyway (no offence, it's just that if the original is nylon then that's what it is supposed to be and nothing else. Lack of a flexible mind setting I suppose ;) )

bfrench

Administrator
It's basically a nice looking jacket for mall wear.

But functionally it needs the following -

One piece back - those back seams can really dig in if you're strapped into a seat for any length of time

Two piece sleeves - same as above

The pockets are a very useful size but need the opening reversed so that you can get into them while seated.

The arm pocket needs to be at an angle for easy reach of pens, etc.

Hopefully it has a couple of inside pockets.

But for £120.00 (194.00US) you could do a lot worse.

Phantomfixer

sealbeachbum said:
I used to have a black leather ALPHA CWU that I wore to work (LAX Airport Operations). It was functional for my job and was a good thick heavy leather making it a good motorcycle jacket as well. That worked out well for me since I rode my Harley to work every day. I think it was a way better jacket than the one on Ebay.

c5-L.jpg
a FRED!!!
Personally I like the leather36/45P jacket. I would get rid of the sleeve pocket and use velcro on the pockets. Pops Leather in Turkey makes a nice one in seal goat.

Phantomfixer

sealbeachbum said:

c5-L.jpg
an A model FRED!!!
Personally I like the leather36/45P jacket. I would get rid of the sleeve pocket and use velcro on the pockets. Pops Leather in Turkey makes a nice one in seal goat.