• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The M-42 Paratrooper Jacket and the Secret Compartment the Germans Didn’t Know About.

Chandler

Funny thing about the deployment of so many men in a world war over 4 years of involvement (speaking for the U.S. here, all you U.K. members), there is really no universal standard of equipment recognition or use.

I had a high school teacher who was in the airborne in WW2 -- told me a lot of stories -- even published a book. His experiences were completely different from any I'd ever heard. Did I mention he fought mostly in New Guinea?

He talked about heavy boots and M-1 carbines; helmet liners without the full steel pot; insect netting as combat equipment.

I had 2 relatives (by marriage -- take that as questionable alone), one in the war, the other inducted and served in Germany right after, who scoffed when I talked about U.S. .30 caliber machine guns with full butt stocks (they were equipment, look them up -- I'm sure you've seen them).

Point being, there is a lot of misconception, misperception, memory fog -- not to mention plain ol' it was different here than it was there across time and territory during WW2. I won't rule out any vet's stories, but I take many with a grain of salt.

To be truthful, I'd never heard about lanyards for the jump knife until this thread, but it sounds as ceremonial and ornamental as lanyards for sidearms pre-WW2 -- and more than a little cumbersome for the average Joe to give a shit about.

But here's a question to ponder; how would you zip up that lapel pocket over the lanyard? Seems like the 2 designs were developed separate from each other. I know -- lotta that during the war.

JMHO.

Last edited:

CombatWombat

Guys..... we're all adults here so do you reckon you could both tone down the aggro a bit?
I have a actual "jump jacket" in my collection and it doesn't have this "secret squirrel" pocket at all so maybe like everything else you Yanks have made....that it's a "artistic flourish" between contracts or orders.....the trousers it matches does have a reenforced slot on the thigh for what could be a FS style dagger though