• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The M-42 Paratrooper Jacket and the Secret Compartment the Germans Didn’t Know About.

B-Man2

Hi Guys
It’s been a slow couple of days here, so I thought about posting something a little different. Ive been interested in US Airborne history and paratrooper gear and uniforms since I first started collecting WWII stuff. Both my dad and an uncle were in the airborne during the war. The M-42 jump uniform was something that peaked my interest, as both of them wore that uniform at some point during their service and as an added attraction, my mom worked as a sewing machine operator at the Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot, sewing pockets onto M-42 and M-43 jump pants and jackets, during and after the war. If you ever looked at a WWII Army uniform you will probably see a Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot label sewn inside of that garment as the PQM was the provider of a significant number of uniforms and clothing to the US Army. So to begin, the M-1942 Airborne Jump Uniform was designed in part by William Yarborough, who would later rise to the rank of Lt General, and provided to the paratroopers prior to the actual D-Day jump into Normandy. It was issued to them either just before they left to relocate in England or just after relocating in England. The jacket was made from cotton poplin and had sharply tailored sides with a belt and 4 larger cargo pockets in which ammo and other gear could be stored to sustain the paratrooper for approximately 3 days. The 3 days was the time that the airborne troops had to operate in a combat zone behind enemy lines, until regular army troops could arrive to relieve the airborne troops. This meant that the paratroopers had to carry all of their gear to fight with during those 3 days, so large storage pockets on uniforms was a must.
To add to the ability of the paratroopers to carry extra ammo and other gear, people known as parachute riggers designed and made specialized equipment, and came up with added cargo pockets sewn to the upper sleeves of the jump jacket with re- enforced the edges of the pockets in the jackets and pants, to add extra strength to the pockets. (Note : the photos below show the reinforced pockets and elbow patched sleeves) This was done after several paratroopers related stories of ammo and other weighty objects blowing right threw the bottoms of jacket and pants pockets due to the tremendous shock of the opening of their parachutes .
One of the little known features that General Yarbrough designed into the M-42 jump jacket was a hidden compartment that only paratroopers knew about . It was located behind the center zipper seam, just below the front collar of the jacket. This pocket contained the M-2 paratrooper jump switchblade knife that was provided to troopers as a means of cutting their shroud lines in the event of getting hung up in a tree. However, there are several tales of paratroopers who were captured and taken prisoner during the early morning hours on D-Day, who had escaped capture by taking their hidden switchblade M-2 knife, that had been missed by their German guards and cutting the guards throat, taking his weapon and making their way back to friendly lines. So that’s a quick story of the M-42 secret compartment you may or may not have known about. I hope you liked it. Please feel free to add your comments to this post. Thanks for your time.
0F1D4BD3-6771-4629-BDA0-64DD8AB2FC61.jpeg
7DA223C6-272D-48FE-8021-3858DF62AF7E.jpeg
15EC4F67-C7C6-4EAA-8653-5729EF8FE358.jpeg
F80C9E0E-681F-4457-B239-B52E8FBCC6B3.jpeg
EEFDEF34-4223-49E0-92C4-C2E44B7F5973.jpeg
063969E2-42DE-4739-B064-493AA47F3425.jpeg
624EFC30-1D30-4063-A243-77FB034A1FC6.jpeg
47046CD2-20D0-4D79-89D1-4EED3DDC9595.jpeg
DE242F6D-2390-4DA1-88DE-C070B75936A5.jpeg
21063F58-B8F6-4623-BE90-1AD6130EADCB.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Great write up!

Here is a Philadelphia QM tag from a twill shirt I own. Unfortunately, the second that water hit the tag, all the printing disappeared. BTW, I would say that the fabric on the paratrooper jacket is twill since it has a diagonal ribbed weave. Poplin has a plain weave.

View attachment 78308
Hi ET
Some of the info I’ve read about it describes the cloth as cotton poplin but I can’t really say for sure .Thanks for your likes on the post .

EDIT:
Thanks to ET I just researched the fabric composition for this jacket and he is correct according to the ATF description of their reproduction of the M-1942 Jacket. It is made from cotton twill fabric. Check out the length that ATF went to to insure the accuracy of their reproduction of this jacket. Good call ET. !

Last edited:

B-Man2

Thanks Burt, as usual impressive!
Any stories about hidden items after beeing a POW?
Hi Bryce
Thanks for the kind words. From what I’ve learned, it didn’t take the Germans long to realize that something was very wrong and upon capture, they began strip searching the US Paratroopers. Once they found the hidden pocket, the secret was out and that was the end of the story .

MauldinFan

I've talked with German vets several times in the 80s and 90s, and they all said they knew about this pocket and to search paratroopers completely if captured. One said it because common knowledge once the first US paratroopers were captured early in the war. By the time of the twin airborne drops on Europe in the summer of 1944 (people seem to forget there were drops in Southern France around the same time as Normandy), not to mention the African and Italian campaigns, I'd expect the rank-and-file German knew all about it. Don't forget the propaganda that painted US Paratroopers as recruited from Chicago gangsters (which amused the Airborne soldiers once they learned of it, as they were just fine with having a reputation of someone to be feared).
I'm not dismissing the previous posts, just pointing it out that this pocket was very well known. Most M2 switchblades was secured with a lanyard that made it obvious to anyone who saw them as to something being hooked up in that pocket.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I've talked with German vets several times in the 80s and 90s, and they all said they knew about this pocket and to search paratroopers completely if captured. One said it because common knowledge once the first US paratroopers were captured early in the war. By the time of the twin airborne drops on Europe in the summer of 1944 (people seem to forget there were drops in Southern France around the same time as Normandy), not to mention the African and Italian campaigns, I'd expect the rank-and-file German knew all about it. Don't forget the propaganda that painted US Paratroopers as recruited from Chicago gangsters (which amused the Airborne soldiers once they learned of it, as they were just fine with having a reputation of someone to be feared).
I'm not dismissing the previous posts, just pointing it out that this pocket was very well known. Most M2 switchblades was secured with a lanyard that made it obvious to anyone who saw them as to something being hooked up in that pocket.
Obviously the lanyard would have disclosed the position and location of the knife. So I’m sure that while it was issued with the knife, only a “by the book boot” would have used the lanyard, let alone attach it to the epaulets. Regarding your discussion with German vets, I’m sure they remember the situation as it promotes their side in the best possible light . My anecdotes came likewise from WWII US airborne troops who I spoke with who refute what you were told. So in the final assessment you go with who you suspect told you the most accurate anecdotes. I’ll side with my father and uncle who were there.

Last edited:

Chandler

Probably not a lot of shared experience between German Heer members in Italy and Normandy across a couple years. No real long distance calls being made. ;)

So yeah, the hidden pocket probably continued to fool those un-indoctrinated and new recruit storm troopers.

Last edited:

MauldinFan

Obviously the lanyard would have disclosed the position and location of the knife. So I’m sure that while it was issued with the knife, only a “by the book boot” would have used the lanyard, let alone attach it to the epaulets. Regarding your discussion with German vets, I’m sure they remember the situation as it promotes their side in the best possible light . My anecdotes came likewise from WWII US airborne troops who I spoke with who refute what you were told. So in the final assessment you go with who you suspect told you the most accurate anecdotes. I’ll side with my father and uncle who were there.
Fair enough, but I also went with what Dick Winters (yes, THAT Dick Winters, long before he became famous) and countless other Airborne vets from WW2 told me in the same timeframe, which jibbed with the German vet recollections as well. I only mentioned the Germans in regard to if the pocket was considered 'secret', to which nobody I ever talked to (either Axis or Allied) considered it as such.
And most vets confirmed that they used the lanyard for the M2 switchblade because it was primarily issued to cut shroud lines, and therefore likely dropped at the worst possible time were it not tethered in some way.

B-Man2

Fair enough, but I also went with what Dick Winters (yes, THAT Dick Winters, long before he became famous) and countless other Airborne vets from WW2 told me in the same timeframe, which jibbed with the German vet recollections as well. I only mentioned the Germans in regard to if the pocket was considered 'secret', to which nobody I ever talked to (either Axis or Allied) considered it as such.
And most vets confirmed that they used the lanyard for the M2 switchblade because it was primarily issued to cut shroud lines, and therefore likely dropped at the worst possible time were it not tethered in some way.
Well…..I’d say that definitely lends creditability to your anecdotal evidence. And the fact that you just happened to be able to PERSONALLY interview “THAT” Dick Winters LONG before he was famous and known to the rest of the world, is really fortuitous. With all of the US Paratroopers surviving WWII…. that you just happened upon “THAT” Dick Winters is actually quite astonishing. Would you happen to have any photos or notes of that interview that you’d could share with the rest of us ?
We always enjoy seeing that kind of stuff.
By the way I’ve looked at a number of WWII airborne jump photos and only on a very rare occasion could I find one with a trooper with a lanyard tied onto his epaulet leading down to that concealed area on his jacket. But just in case I might have missed a few, I’ll continue my search. If you have a few with troopers in their aircraft ready to jump wearing their lanyards please do share them .

Well ……. What do you know …. looks like this is General Eisenhower with the US Airborne Paratroopers all geared up, just before the D-Day jump and as hard as I look, I’ll be damned but I can only find one, just one trooper that MIGHT have a lanyard attached to the knife pocket.
Huh!
Maybe you missed these guys in your interviews.

Last edited:

MauldinFan

Well…..I’d say that definitely lends creditability to your anecdotal evidence. And the fact that you just happened to be able to PERSONALLY interview “THAT” Dick Winters LONG before he was famous and known to the rest of the world, is really fortuitous. With all of the US Paratroopers surviving WWII…. that you just happened upon “THAT” Dick Winters is actually quite astonishing. Would you happen to have any photos or notes of that interview that you’d could share with the rest of us ?
We always enjoy seeing that kind of stuff.
By the way I’ve looked at a number of WWII airborne jump photos and only on a very rare occasion could I find one with a trooper with a lanyard tied onto his epaulet leading down to that concealed area on his jacket. But just in case I might have missed a few, I’ll continue my search. If you have a few with troopers in their aircraft ready to jump wearing their lanyards please do share them .

Well ……. What do you know …. looks like this is General Eisenhower with the US Airborne Paratroopers all geared up, just before the D-Day jump and as hard as I look, I’ll be damned but I can only find one, just one trooper that MIGHT have a lanyard attached to the knife pocket.
Huh!
Maybe you missed these guys in your interviews.

Clearly you think I'm lying. Dick Winters used to go to the WW2 living history days at the Eisenhower Farm in Gettysburg and talk with reenactors (and would often mock the 300 pound plus guys, thankfully I looked the part back then, before the book came out).
People used to ask him all kinds of questions because he had a great memory for that stuff. A good friend of mine in my group had a nice collection of airborne switchblades and that is why I remember this discussions so well as hed ask any airborne vet about how they carried and used them.
I'm sure some of the guys wrote a lot of this stuff down but you have to realize that in the early 90s, we weren't thinking ahead to when all these guys were going to start dying off.
But if you'd actually read any of the basic books on airborne equipment, you'd find several photos of switchblade with lanyards and them being used. There's lots of clear photos you can see them in all the DeTrez books, the H&C published books and pretty much any book other than the basic "history of WW2" or Google searches you skipped through in a laughable attempt at what you refer to as 'research'.
It's as if you declared you found out that A2 jackets had snaps at collars and alone know what they were for. Countless people knew about this and wrote in detail about it as early as the 1980s.
Whether you chose to believe that or not, I couldn't care less.

Last edited:

2BM2K

I am not familiar with the intricate details of the M42 jacket and so can only offer
some speculation.

Having a laynard on the switchblade makes sense but at the same time having a laynard on the
jacket whilist jumping does not seem sensible.

The obvious solution would be to somehow attach the laynard to the inside of the pocket, maybe even sewn in. Examination of an original and used jacket would be helpful.

B-Man2

Hi 2BM2K
Thanks for your post.
When I wrote the short post above regarding the M-42 jacket and the personal stories told to me be my relatives, who were in the airborne during WWII, I really didn’t think that someone would post something contradicting those very personal anecdotes that I shared with this forum. As a result, I tried to offer a period video showing that airborne troops, photographed in the hours just prior to the D-Day jump did not use lanyards on their switchblades. I did this as a way of supporting the personal stories I was told as well as the factual information I presented in my post.
Your post raises a reasonable question and some speculation about the subject that I’d be happy to address.
There’s a very simple answer to your question, which I think will explain why most the troops in the video show no lanyards being used.
The ORIGINAL M-2 paratrooper knives that were issued to the airborne troops did not have a bail or an attachment point for a lanyard. Therefore a lanyard was not used.
What I didn’t happen to mention in my original post was that I’ve been a collector of M-2 Paratrooper knives for years. I started collecting based on the stories that I had heard from relatives and other airborne troopers. Now in support of this information I’ll post a link to a very well know author on the subject of US Airborne troops and their equipment, Mark Bando.
In this link you will see that original M-2 paratrooper switchblade knives were not issued with a bail or a metal ring at the end of the knife for attaching a lanyard. This came later in the war. So if you were a paratrooper, who joined up prior to the reissue of the 2nd version of the M-2 knife, when a bail had been added, You simply carried the knife in the hidden pocket unseen from others without a lanyard. Now the wanna be self proclaimed know it all/ re-enactor above, who knows little about this subject, would not know that there were 2 variations of the M-2 airborne switchblade knife . You can read about the transition from 1st to 2nd variation M-2 knives here.

So the comments made by the bloviating self professed , wanna be historian/ re-enactor above, are meaningless to me.
Unlike that person, I’ll offer some photos of these 1st and 2nd version M-2 knives in my collection in support of this post . I hope that helps to answer your post.
3929D910-3D93-4869-8DF0-5EDF3DEA6F16.jpeg
33CDB41A-9D85-4908-8D6F-B162D4142363.jpeg
A7A98151-C98F-40C8-B48F-37A526E56D03.jpeg
BD35C00B-F350-4F75-B97F-3AF575267DA5.jpeg
C93D5ECF-228D-4763-99F3-25F91A3E2BD6.jpeg
D16024FC-83AA-4AE9-BF20-567E0E04D8A5.jpeg

Last edited: