• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The hunt - is it compulsive?

Pa12

Wise words. I remember as a young collector having ordered something waiting each day for the parcel van to, perhaps, possibly, maybe deliver something, usually a helmet, cap or item of uniform or flying gear I had bought from one of the main surplus places I dealt with back then. Send cheque or postal order off one day, it arrived the next and with a bit of luck they would get whatever it was packed and sent out to usually, but not always, arrive at my place the following day if I was lucky. The wait was invariably sweeter than the feeling several days after the item had arrived.

Ah yes the anticipation! A bit like asking a girl out not knowing if she would say yes or no.... and if the answer was yes anticipating the following yes or no's further down the line :cool:
Yep. Christmas was like that too as a youngster. And my folks never disappointed.

Pa12

Of course with Christmas you have a confirmed delivery date. Which for me meant no sleep the night before and spending Christmas Day feeling like a little bagged out shit.
I think amazon takes some of the fun out of it too. I can order something in the evening and the damn thing is at my front door by noon the next day. That’s good if you need something, but if it’s something you just want, it takes from the experience a bit.