• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Horror

A

Anonymous

290756_10150399906703400_123023458399_8385364_1274864940_o.jpg

That's Jeff Clyman the president of Avirex with some "Red Tails" actors wearing his mall jackets. Wow! The man who almost single-handedly RUINED the repro business is trying to hop on the bandwagon. Jeff Clyman is the man who invented the "Mall Jacket" ! Think disgusting "Top Gun" lambskin G-1s and/or CBI uderwear! This is also the man responsible for RUINING the current USAF A-2 by somehow cajoling the government into using his ugly Avirex pattern with its hideous pockets and hideous epaulets... sad, sad, sad... Jeff Clyman, Burt Avedon, and Stewie Clurman dominated the repro business during the 80's- their fine work and "knowledge" can be seen on display in that fine tome "Hell Bent for Leather"... sad, sad, sad..." The Horror...the horror...t h e h o r r o r "...

Persimmon

rotenhahn said:
290756_10150399906703400_123023458399_8385364_1274864940_o.jpg

That's Jeff Clyman the president of Avirex with some "Red Tails" actors wearing his mall jackets. Wow! The man who almost single-handedly RUINED the repro business is trying to hop on the bandwagon. Jeff Clyman is the man who invented the "Mall Jacket" ! Think disgusting "Top Gun" lambskin G-1s and/or CBI uderwear! This is also the man responsible for RUINING the current USAF A-2 by somehow cajoling the government into using his ugly Avirex pattern with its hideous pockets and hideous epaulets... sad, sad, sad... Jeff Clyman, Burt Avedon, and Stewie Clurman dominated the repro business during the 80's- their fine work and "knowledge" can be seen on display in that fine tome "Hell Bent for Leather"... sad, sad, sad..." The Horror...the horror...t h e h o r r r o r ...

Well there is a name from the past.
I must actually sing Jeff Cluman's praises here.
I met him and his business partner Frank Machese about 20 years or so in their shop/factory in NYC
Being a stranger from the UK and interested in flight jackets he spent some time with me trying to express his vision of the A2 jacket and showed me his original collection.

I never did buy one of the well worn look (lambskin jackets) but I enjoyed having the conversation.
He also offered me a ride two days later across the bay in New Jersey on his T-6 so all in all to me he was a great guy.

And yes his replica vision was all wrong. Lamb. Side pockets etc etc
And of course it is goodbye Avirex. Hello Cockpit these days I believe.

Rutger

Tasteful, modern cut jackets, classics already.
I'd think the actors wouldn't be allowed to advertise anything but the brands worn in the movie.

Vcruiser

Rutger said:
Tasteful, modern cut jackets, classics already.
I'd think the actors wouldn't be allowed to advertise anything but the brands worn in the movie.

I don't think they really are. Just acting like it.. :)

derleicaman

Yup, its Kurtz.

Also brings to mind Smeagol's obsession with the "Precious" in our pursuit of the perfect A-2.

I hate to admit that I was taken in by the Avirex take on the A-2 way back when in the 80s when for most folks they were the only game in town.

DJS48

Regarding Avirex/Cockpit, it was a learning expierence for me. It seems an evolution of sorts as to where "we" are today in the repro. market.

Cheers,
Don

Jaguar46

I would think his reproductions would be valued (low), sometimes you don't appreciate how good something is, until something bad comes along to compare with it. It just so happens, the bad came before the good in this case.