• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Great Waldo Pepper

EmergencyIan

I watched the 1975 "The Great Waldo Pepper" movie for the first time last night. It's set between 1926 and 1931. If you're not familiar with the movie, Waldo Pepper is a former WWI pilot/flight instructor who becomes a barnstormer and subsequently a Hollywood stuntman. I really enjoyed it.

More about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Waldo_Pepper

In the movie, it looks like pilots are wearing a cross between A-1's and A-2's.

1)Does anyone know if these were vintage jackets or if they were made specifically for the movie?

2)If they were/are vintage jackets, what are they? (military issue or private/ civillian purchase...etc)

- Ian

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
The jackets appear to have been made for the movie, in the style of period civilian flying jackets ... the sort of thing originally supplied by Air Associates, or S H Knopf of Chicago.

This month the barnstorming epic The Great Waldo Pepper opened in New York with Robert Redford delighting his admirers in flying togs by Edith Head.

51Uk4kG1izL._SL500_.jpg

EmergencyIan

deeb7 said:
The jackets appear to have been made for the movie, in the style of period civilian flying jackets ... the sort of thing originally supplied by Air Associates, or S H Knopf of Chicago.

This month the barnstorming epic The Great Waldo Pepper opened in New York with Robert Redford delighting his admirers in flying togs by Edith Head.

51Uk4kG1izL._SL500_.jpg

Thank you, David.

I had a feeling that the flight jackets, in the movie, may have made for the movie. Whoever the maker was looks to have done a really good job.

- Ian