• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The forgotten flight jackets -- US Army Nomex

FtrPlt

As I was reading through some old threads looking for some B-10 info, I realized that there is very little comment/interest in the US Army versions of the CWU-36/p and -45/P. Issued as "Jacket, Flyers, Lightweight, Nomex" and "Jacket, Cold Weather, High Temperature Retardent" or "Jacket, Flyers, Cold Weather, Nomex".

I have both the above and they rank as the most comfortable flight jackets I have -- the summer jacket, in particular.

!Bz)52+w!mk~$(KGrHqIOKjwEwrQL-E(1BM(jmrb9HQ~~_3.JPG

edited 8/15 to remove incorrect reference to the design intially being made for Combat Vehicle Crews.

grommet

Where did you get it? I have been in 3 Army Surplus stores and the ones they carry, size medium I believe, were small on me (and I am only a civilian size 40).

Rutger

I own quite a few of them as they are more comfy than the CWU.
They're also available in the tan version (Winter only), and occasionally pop up on ebay.
The green ones can be found by the tens at any given moment, it pays to be picky.
I borrowed/stole these pics from a current listing on ebay, hopefully not offending anyone, maybe even advertising. It's just easier than making pictures of the ones I have. Mines include various ranks on shoulder (1x major, 1x lieutenant) and velcro on both shoulders and L & R chest.
Another advantage of this type of jacket is the velcroed strap for putting the collar around your neck.

Rutger

CVCDesertTan1.jpg

CVCDesertTan2.jpg

CVCDesertTan3.jpg

FtrPlt

grommet said:
Where did you get it? I have been in 3 Army Surplus stores and the ones they carry, size medium I believe, were small on me (and I am only a civilian size 40).

My jackets were issued to me. I started out as a USAF pilot but spent the bulk of my time as a US Army pilot. While I certainly enjoyed my USAF time, I found the Army a much better fit for my temperment.

First photo shows my nomex shirt which was part of the two-piece flying uniform used by the Army in the 1960s/70s. These were not being issued when I was in but were still authorized for wear (phase-out sometime in the 1990s, IIRC. Same for the Vietnam-era green jungle fatigues). I got the shirt and pants from a squadron mate who had outgrown them. The CWU-27/P was standard issue for Army pilots for most of my service time.

The jacket is the lightweight flying jacket. Sort of a hyrid between an A-2 and a B-15. Cut is very similar to an A-2 with flapped, side-entry pockets. I don't believe there are any flight jackets issued to Army pilots anymore. There is a new digital-pattern two-piece flying uniform -- basically a nomex ACU battle uniform -- and the standard field jacket is authorized outer garment.

NomexShirt.jpg

NomexLtJacket.jpg

watchmanjimg

FtrPlt said:
As I was reading through some old threads looking for some B-10 info, I realized that there is very little comment/interest in the US Army versions of the CWU-36/p and -45/P. Originally issued as part of the Combat Vehicle Crew (CVC) kit, these were slightly modified (velcro for nameplate) and issued as "Jacket, Flyers, Lightweight, Nomex" and "Jacket, Cold Weather, High Temperature Retardent" or "Jacket, Flyers, Cold Weather, Nomex".

I have both the above and they rank as the most comfortable flight jackets I have -- the summer jacket, in particular.

!Bz)52+w!mk~$(KGrHqIOKjwEwrQL-E(1BM(jmrb9HQ~~_3.JPG

I have to agree regarding the relative lack of discussion of these jackets. They're mentioned from time to time, mostly by Atticus and myself. :D

These are great utility jackets and I have a good number in my collection. However, I don't believe they started out as CVC jackets. The Nomex CVC ensemble was introduced with the transition to the M1 Abrams tank in the early '80s, while lightweight Nomex jackets of this type were being issued as early as the late 1960s and definitely in the early 1970s. Early examples of the cold-weather version are rarer than the summer jackets, but they do exist.

I have a cold-weather Nomex jacket from the early 1990s that came new in wrap. The instruction label makes reference to CVC use, but as you point out they are also seen labeled as flyer's jackets. They were in regular use by aviators at Ft. Carson, CO when I was stationed there in '88-'90, but tankers like myself had yet to be authorized to wear them. I can only assume that the CVC ensemble was issued once a unit completed its transition from M60A3 to Abrams.

FtrPlt

You could very well be right regarding if/when armor folks wore these. The two-piece nomex shirt/trousers were in aircrew use towards the end of the Vietnam War.

I never paid much attention to the armor guys. I may have just presumed they were wearing nomex. Upon reflection they were probably just wearing coveralls?

Vietnam-era aircrew wearing the two-piece nomex flying suit. Note that one wears the shirt tucked in while the other two do not. IMO, a huge flaw with this suit. If worn untucked, fire would roll up and under the shirt and trap the fire within.

Polecat02.jpg

photo via virtualwall.org

CBI

thanks for this thread. Mine arrived today just like the one in the first photo. I really like it and it cost me ............................................ $10.00 :)

Members online

Latest posts