• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Few

johnwayne

The above book is an ad from latest Flypast mag (April) and also features Salor Malan in its ‘Legends’ spread. Thanks Smithy for the expensive recommendation!!
I’m still working my way thru this 540 page tome that fortunately I was given but is exhaustive, even listing all the known Luftwaffe pilots in addition to RAF’s but covers too the aerial efforts by Germany in WWI. Original publication 1969 mine being a 1990 reprint.
13E531CC-FD28-4433-AF31-F509F647D43E.jpeg

Smithy

The above book is an ad from latest Flypast mag (April) and also features Salor Malan in its ‘Legends’ spread. Thanks Smithy for the expensive recommendation!!
I’m still working my way thru this 540 page tome that fortunately I was given but is exhaustive, even listing all the known Luftwaffe pilots in addition to RAF’s but covers too the aerial efforts by Germany in WWI. Original publication 1969 mine being a 1990 reprint.View attachment 97781

That was the first indepth treatise on the BoB and it's still excellent for the ebb and flow of the battle. Some of the details have unsurprisingly been surpassed by new research but it's a must have in any BoB library!

Smithy

I thought it was high time to drag this thread back from undeserved, thread purgatory, and what better way than with this rather famous snap that I've always loved it. One of the great characters and aces of the Battle, Bob Stanford Tuck, here when he was commanding 257 Sqn on Hurris, and yes that's quite a collection of Jerries on the side there ;) ...

Tuck-portrait2-opt.jpg

Smithy

Following on with 257, here they are after mauling one of the ill-fated Italian raids over Britain, complete with Italian helmet recovered from one of the many aircraft they shot down.

The Eyeties were completely out of their depth over England against the RAF.

Squadron_Leader_Robert_Stanford_Tuck_%28centre%29_with_pilots_of_No._257_Squadron_RAF_under_the_nose_of_Tuck%27s_Hawker_Hurricane_at_Martlesham_Heath._They_are_displaying_souvenirs_of_their_action_against_Italian_air_CH1674.jpg

Smithy

Don't think we've had him in here before and I have to add him as he's one of my personal heroes of the BoB. One of my countrymen, Donald Cobden of 74 Sqn. A very talented rugby player, Don had played wing for the All Blacks in the late 30s. He moved to the UK to take a short service commission in the RAF. Very sadly he was shot down and killed on his 26th birthday over the Channel during the Battle.

Cobden-portrait2-opt.jpg

His individual photo from his All Blacks' days...

Cobden-portrait1-opt.jpg

And with 74 (back row 6th from left)...

P2.bmp

ZuZu

Following on with 257, here they are after mauling one of the ill-fated Italian raids over Britain, complete with Italian helmet recovered from one of the many aircraft they shot down.

The Eyeties were completely out of their depth over England against the RAF.

Squadron_Leader_Robert_Stanford_Tuck_%28centre%29_with_pilots_of_No._257_Squadron_RAF_under_the_nose_of_Tuck%27s_Hawker_Hurricane_at_Martlesham_Heath._They_are_displaying_souvenirs_of_their_action_against_Italian_air_CH1674.jpg
Those Irvins are so floppy and supple and comfortable looking- any like that today? Eastman's Lightweight is actually the correct copy?

Smithy

Those Irvins are so floppy and supple and comfortable looking- any like that today? Eastman's Lightweight is actually the correct copy?

My old Eastman (2007 vintage) is now floppier than a 90 year old's ding-dong.

What you see in those period photos comes down to wear Jeff. Those Irvins you see on Battle of France and Britain men were issued pre-war and at a time when Irvins were still being worn a lot by RAF fighter pilots. They'd had a lot of wear both on the ground and in the air.

ZuZu

My old Eastman (2007 vintage) is now floppier than a 90 year old's ding-dong.

What you see in those period photos comes down to wear Jeff. Those Irvins you see on Battle of France and Britain men were issued pre-war and at a time when Irvins were still being worn a lot by RAF fighter pilots. They'd had a lot of wear both on the ground and in the air.
I get that I guess- but they seem smoother on the outside and more supple. BTW- I'm just 20 years away from that ding-dong.

Smithy

I get that I guess- but they seem smoother on the outside and more supple. BTW- I'm just 20 years away from that ding-dong.

You need to know the specifics Jeff.

Prior to WWII RAF fighter pilots were issued Irvins for flying duties. Mainly because in the mid to late 30s most fighter squadrons in the RAF were still flying open cockpit biplanes - Gauntlets and Furies for example.

Most of those Irvins you're seeing in fighter squadrons in the early War years have seen a lot of use.

Around the Battle of France squadron commanders started to ban their pilots using Irvins as the collar obstructed the rearward view so you see a great decline in their usage in fighter squadrons.

B-Man2

Great photo of of some of 74 Sqn...

Measures-74-group-opt.jpg
It’s interesting to me that the RAF and RNZAF had several enlisted rank Fighter Pilots during the war, when the flight school requirements for admittance were the same for both ranks. The same thing took place here in the U.S. at the beginning of the war. We had enlisted rank pilots flying state of the art fighter planes. I guess I question the process because I tend to think that pilots should be officers, but I know that’s a complete fallacy . Enlisted guys were just as intelligent and professional as officers. During the Vietnam war helicopter pilots were commissioned as “Warrant Officers “ a unique rank position below a Lieutenant rank but above the top enlisted ranks. I learned to appreciate the whole enlisted pilot thing many years ago when I got a stern talking to about enlisted pilots. My first father in law, a WWII vet flew with the USN group known as the “Flying Chiefs” He flew a Hellcat and was a senior chief petty officer. He made it clear that the guys he flew with could fly rings around any new LTJG who graduated from Annapolis. :)

Smithy

It’s interesting to me that the RAF and RNZAF had several enlisted rank Fighter Pilots during the war, when the flight school requirements for admittance were the same for both ranks. The same thing took place here in the U.S. at the beginning of the war. We had enlisted rank pilots flying state of the art fighter planes. I guess I question the process because I tend to think that pilots should be officers, but I know that’s a complete fallacy . Enlisted guys were just as intelligent and professional as officers. During the Vietnam war helicopter pilots were commissioned as “Warrant Officers “ a unique rank position below a Lieutenant rank but above the top enlisted ranks. I learned to appreciate the whole enlisted pilot thing many years ago when I got a stern talking to about enlisted pilots. My first father in law, a WWII vet flew with the USN group known as the “Flying Chiefs” He flew a Hellcat and was a senior chief petty officer. He made it clear that the guys he flew with could fly rings around any new LTJG who graduated from Annapolis. :)

Before and up to the start of the war Burt, many Kiwis joined the RAF on what was called a short service commission. If they passed selection and gained their wings they were granted a commission as a pilot officer. This is why all Kiwis in the RAF during the BoB were commissioned officers.

Both the RAF and RNZAF allowed non-commissioned pilots, although they were always at least a sergeant. As the war heated up it became more and more common to see non-commissioned pilots.

Thomas, my granddad's first cousin, who flew in the BoB joined his squadron (64) as a sergeant pilot. He'd come from the RAFVR. He only flew as a sergeant for several months before being promoted to a pilot officer.

B-Man2

Before and up to the start of the war Burt, many Kiwis joined the RAF on what was called a short service commission. If they passed selection and gained their wings they were granted a commission as a pilot officer. This is why all Kiwis in the RAF during the BoB were commissioned officers.

Both the RAF and RNZAF allowed non-commissioned pilots, although they were always at least a sergeant. As the war heated up it became more and more common to see non-commissioned pilots.

Thomas, my granddad's first cousin, who flew in the BoB joined his squadron (64) as a sergeant pilot. He'd come from the RAFVR. He only flew as a sergeant for several months before being promoted to a pilot officer.
I would imagine that the shortage of qualified pilots and the availability of those who were already pilots was much different for the allied countries who were into the war in 1939 vs. the U.S. who got into the air war in 1942.

Smithy

I would imagine that the shortage of qualified pilots and the availability of those who were already pilots was much different for the allied countries who were into the war in 1939 vs. the U.S. who got into the air war in 1942.

The whole reason for the short service commission scheme in the RAF was because the war clouds that were forming over Europe from the mid to late 30s. Kiwis especially jumped at it - that's the reason why more NZers flew in RAF Fighter Command during the BoB than any other "Commonwealth" nation.

Smithy

Not the most thrilling of photographs but I had to put this chap in, Donald "Dimsie" Stones. He was a proper character...

He was 19, and had not long joined his first operational squadron - 32, equipped with Hurricanes at Biggin Hill in Kent - when he acquired the nickname with which he became stuck for life. It was in March 1940, while the squadron was detached to Gravesend; Stones had absent-mindedly stuffed a book into his greatcoat pocket before appearing for breakfast in the mess; his fellow pilots observed the title, Dimsie goes to School - a childrens book for five-year-olds :D

His flight commander took him to a brothel to get laid as he said he wasn't having anyone in his flight dying a virgin.

On another occasion (even funnier), Stones was visiting the Hawker mess in the former flying club at Brooklands. Accepting a whisky mac from an avuncular character he took to be some unimportant old codger, he teased the man that he would never get a chance to fly a Hurricane. Taking Stones aside, his flight commander Mike Crossley exploded: "You bloody young fool!" Stones's "unimportant old codger" had been George Bulman, Hawker's chief test pilot who had flown the Hurricane on its maiden flight.

Despite these bumps in the road he turned into a terrific fighter pilot.

StonesDWA-portrait1-opt.jpg

Last edited:

Smithy

Can't believe I haven't put him in here already...

Stapme Stapleton of 603 Sqn. For many Stapme is the quintessential Battle of Britain fighter pilot with his moustache and larger than life character. He famously bagged Franz von Werra during the Battle - The One that Got Away - the only Jerry pilot to escape captivity from Canada and make it back to Germany. An ace during the Battle, he later flew Tiffies on which he was shot down and made prisoner. He was also a hit with the ladies and always had a soft spot for the fairer sex (see his tie in the later photo below). His biography by David Ross is very, very highly recommended by yours truly.

Stapleton-portrait1-opt.jpg

800px-Gerald_%27Stapme%27_Stapleton_Duxford_sept_04.jpg

Pa12

Can't believe I haven't put him in here already...

Stapme Stapleton of 603 Sqn. For many Stapme is the quintessential Battle of Britain fighter pilot with his moustache and larger than life character. He famously bagged Franz von Werra during the Battle - The One that Got Away - the only Jerry pilot to escape captivity from Canada and make it back to Germany. An ace during the Battle, he later flew Tiffies on which he was shot down and made prisoner. He was also a hit with the ladies and always had a soft spot for the fairer sex (see his tie in the later photo below). His biography by David Ross is very, very highly recommended by yours truly.

Stapleton-portrait1-opt.jpg

800px-Gerald_%27Stapme%27_Stapleton_Duxford_sept_04.jpg
Got the bob Hoover look happening there.