• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Few

B-Man2

Arguably the top scoring ace of the Battle, Eric Lock of 41 Sqn...

Eric-Lock-of-41-squadron-was-the-highest-scoring-British-pilot-during-the-Battle-of-Britain.webp
He looks like he’s about 20 years old. I have grandkids the same age and I can’t imagine them as fighter aces or flying a Lanc or a B-17 but yet this generation did just that and did it admirably.. God Bless them all!

Smithy

Seems only fitting to have F/O John Drummond next who collided with Williams above. A very successful and experienced pilot with 92, tragically he bailed out after the collision but was too low and was killed.

This is a terrific photo and proof to my mind that nothing was more dashing during WWII than a chap in RAF SD.

Drummond-portrait2-opt.jpg

B-Man2

Today's fellow...

F/Lt William Alexander Smith of 229 Sqn. He survived the Battle and the War.

Despite the damage from Jerry cannon shells to his Hurri, neither he nor the squadron mascot are particularly bothered.

4161F1C400000578-4599004-image-a-13_1497345142518.jpg
That’s friggin amazing !!

Smithy

When I started this thread it was a bit all over the shop but I've decided that one of the primary things I've decided that I want this thread to do is to pay homage to all of The Few, those who were the famous aces but also the multitude of men who flew defending Britain and ultimately the free world. So many of The Few are unknown and unsung so I'm hoping that this little thread on the Internet might sing their praises a little.

Today's chap...

PO John Cruttenden of 43 Sqn. He shared in the destruction of a Dornier on the 7th July but was shot down in combat on the 8th August off the Isle of Wight. He was never found. He was 20 years old.

Cruttenden-portrait1-opt.jpg

johnwayne

Great pics of pretty normal looking guys, John Drummond looking the the most flamboyant maybe but all real hero’s all the same. Watching BoB film yesterday for the umpteenth time and actually thought the producers did well casting the those who portrayed such men. Nice diversion with Susannah York too!!

Smithy

Today's chap...

F/O Alan Geoffrey Page.

Bit of a famous one this fellow. Flew with 56 Sqn during the Battle. Attacking a Dornier on the 12th August he was shot down and badly burned. He spent 2 years in hospital but amazingly returned to operations. He survived the war and was instrumental in the creation of the Battle of Britain Memorial above the cliffs at Capel-le-Ferne near Dover.

His book "Shot Down in Flames" is a brilliant read.

PageAG-portrait1-opt.jpg