• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Few RW Color

Roughwear

You are quite correct. The Few RW 16159 is an incorrect light tan rather than the russet shade as found on originals.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
The Rough Wear A-2 is from the 2009 season, and features the Badalassi vegetable tanned vacchetta leather. Two other Rough Wear contracts were offered that year ... in seal horsehide, or tabbacco, a dark russett.

442RCT

Burnsie said:
It's the little known and very rare military spec "used diaper" shade #2.

I think I read somewhere that it was a special batch made for the Desert Air Force, DAF so they would blend in with the surrounding desert. :roll:

The cowhide RW
AN10-003_0.jpg

The A-1 version
AN10-018_0.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
442RCT said:
I think I read somewhere that it was a special batch made for the Desert Air Force, DAF so they would blend in with the surrounding desert. :roll:

Oh okay, you just wanted to have a dig ...

The A-2 you pictured isn't the same as the link in your original post. both the pictured jackets are in casein finish natural cow hide. The hide will soon darken, and dirty up with wear, and handling. It would be interesting to see one again after a few seasons use.

Silver Surfer

i had one of these jacs. with the application of br goop, or pecards, they darken....fast. they were hh, in mostly smoother hides. the interesting thing about having control over the color is that you can keep it light [it will darken naturally] or you can bring it to a deep russet with repeated applications of goop.. those who have had or have originals, will attest to the very light under color on many of the early russet rw contract a-2s. i reckon that is what was done here, with the intent of the owner having a choice of final color.