• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Clash 'The Call Up'....original Irvin etc

havocpaul

The article on the new edition of Uncut on the making of 'Sandinista' reminded me to look at the video for 'The Call Up' which was filmed at Chris Farlowe's military store/warehouse in Islington...check out 'Topper's' original Irvin and RAF scarf. The remainder of the band seemed to grab and wear whatever they could although Simenon manages to look cool whatever he wears! For those not familiar with Chris Farlowe, he had several hits in the '60's notably 'Out of Time' on which he was backed by the Stones (who wrote it of course). He was a regular 'face' around the militaria collectors in the 60's and 70's and his store was a goldmine for rare uniforms and equipment. £25 for an SS parka back then!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQo9mAhGEdk

havocpaul

You mean you don't have it in your collection!! :) Chris's stuff used to be sold under the Arches at Charing X as well as through his various shops, he also went 'bust' a few times from what I heard and stock often ended up at Quartermasters at the Angel or Regimentals. As this was filmed in 1979 that Irvin was probably yours to own for around £35! Looking closely again apart from the RAF stuff Topper is wearing, it looks like Paul and Mick are wearing RAF flying boots. The Clash are the band I have seen live the most and I doubt I will ever beat that record, from 1976 to the 80's I saw them over 55 times, even working with the Pretenders in 1979/80 I didn't better that although they came close....I miss Joe alot.

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
The article on the new edition of Uncut on the making of 'Sandinista' reminded me to look at the video for 'The Call Up' which was filmed at Chris Farlowe's military store/warehouse in Islington...check out 'Topper's' original Irvin and RAF scarf. The remainder of the band seemed to grab and wear whatever they could although Simenon manages to look cool whatever he wears!

While Topper never looked cool, be it in an Irvin or a Bruce Lee jumpsuit. Wasn't aware that Farlowe was a dealer in militaria...interesting.

havocpaul

that's a great version Peter, thank you. As most know I'm a massive Springsteen fan and he and Strummer had mutual respect and admiration for each other, it was nice last year at Glastonbury for Bruce to open with 'Coma Girl' and then the following night at Hyde Park with 'London Calling'. Strummer had an honesty so very rare in music, we really did need him these past few years.

Burnsie

havocpaul said:
Simenon manages to look cool whatever he wears!

Here he is looking cool in an A-2 (appears to be civilian w/ the snap vs. throat hook, but definitely no hand warmer pockets!)

SimenonA-2.jpg

dmar836

Awesome thread! My wife got cold feet and postponed our initial wedding date. The reschedule was much more casual(thankfully!) and in my livingroom. London Calling played in the background! What a good natured wife! My regret is they never got together before Joe's death so I never got to see them live.
55 times? My idol!
Dave
Kansas City, USA

Peter Graham

It's quite remarkable how many times The Clash have been mentioned on this forum over the years. A lot of members here really appreciate the band, which is great but I'll say this. Don't ignore Strummer's post Clash stuff with The Mescalleros or indeed Mick Jones band B.A.D. If you love The Clash give them a listen.

havocpaul

I agree totally, Peter. There is a real opportunity to re-market and collate Joe's post-Clash material so it can be re-assessed, it is very relevant in today's climate. BAD have had reissues recently, what about Havana 3AM?!

Peter Graham

havocpaul said:
what about Havana 3AM?!
No offence to Mr Simonon but the less said about them the better. Paul, did you visit Mick Jones exhibition under the Westway ? I heard that it was excellent

asiamiles

Burnsie said:
Here he is looking cool in an A-2 (appears to be civilian w/ the snap vs. throat hook, but definitely no hand warmer pockets!)

SimenonA-2.jpg
Great photo, that I seem to recall it was in one of the The Clash Songbooks but I haven't seen it since. I remember thinking when I saw it that it was very cool that Paul was wearing an A-2, a jacket I already loved from the movies but that wasn't particularly "punk", though I certainly never noticed the snap. Can anyone ID what badge he has on the left chest?

A lot of members here really appreciate the band, which is great but I'll say this. Don't ignore Strummer's post Clash stuff with The Mescalleros or indeed Mick Jones band B.A.D.
Wasn't a fan of BAD and never bought any of their records but I went down to see them play at Subterrania one time (someone had lent me a Mean Fiddler A&R card and I never returned it and so I could get into any of the chain's venues for free...and Subterrania was pretty local for me) and they were really good.

Peter Graham

asiamiles said:
Can anyone ID what badge he has on the left chest?
Miles, it's the cap badge of the 17/21st Lancers which is a skull and cross bones with the words "Or Glory" in a scroll below it. Their nickname is "The death or glory boys" which has odvious Clash connections !

Burnsie

Peter Graham said:
havocpaul said:
what about Havana 3AM?!
No offence to Mr Simonon but the less said about them the better.
I saw them at the old 9:30 club in DC and remember having a great time - in addition to the obvious Clash connection I was also into the singer being Nigel Dixon from the Neo Rockabilly band Whirlwind. There was the obligatory run through of Guns Of Brixton but the best song of the night was the encore - Eddie Cochran's Somethin' Else. And the crowd went wild.

asiamiles

Burnsie said:
Peter Graham said:
havocpaul said:
what about Havana 3AM?!
No offence to Mr Simonon but the less said about them the better.
I saw them at the old 9:30 club in DC and remember having a great time - in addition to the obvious Clash connection I was also into the singer being Nigel Dixon from the Neo Rockabilly band Whirlwind. There was the obligatory run through of Guns Of Brixton but the best song of the night was the encore - Eddie Cochran's Somethin' Else. And the crowd went wild.

When you say "old" do you mean the club has moved? I saw Pere Ubu there on a US trip back in the summer of '93.

Burnsie

asiamiles said:
Burnsie said:

When you say "old" do you mean the club has moved? I saw Pere Ubu there on a US trip back in the summer of '93.

Yes, it used to be at 930 F St., they've since moved to 815 V St. Much bigger venue but less character.

Peter Graham

I saw them in London in 89 and remember being very unimpressed, particularly with the vocalist, but maybe they were having a bad night.