• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The AN-J-3

Striker

Does anyone own a reproduction of the AN-J-3?

Is it true that it was supposed to replace the A-2?

Thanks,

Striker

bfrench

Administrator
Striker said:
Does anyone own a reproduction of the AN-J-3?

Is it true that it was supposed to replace the A-2?

Thanks,

Striker

Hi, Striker,

AFAIK, the AN-J-3 was never issued - it is a point of contention and there doesn't seem to be any pics to prove it either way.

I also think it was made in two versions - a basic M-422a without a fur collar and a type with epaulets and an outside windflap as on the A-2.

The main consensus is that it was made from goatskin and yes it was supposed to be a combined services jacket to replace the A-2 and M-422a.

I had Gibson and Barnes make on from russet horsehide based on the M-422a - here's a review.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=64

Bill French

MikeyB-17

It is indeed a bone of contention which has been discussed here and elsewhere ad nauseam. Every single one of the non-fur collared version which turns up, as they do from time to time, has no label. This has led several to say that it was never an issued jacket , merely a 'private purchase', although I believe a while back Swing said that Charles of HPA has previously owned one with a military label, the theory being that only a very few were ever issued. Maybe one day one will turn up with a label and put all the discussion to rest.

Hawkeye

The Gibson and Barnes jacket is really nice Bill. Now why can't they do the same thing with their A-2 and not make the bottom of the jacket look like a hair scrunchy?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Striker said:
Does anyone have any photos of the AN-J-3 with the windflap?

Here's one from the old VLJ, Striker .... no label, but nicely modelled.

WESPANJ3.jpg

I posted these pictures awhile back but looks like it's time to break them out again. :D

This ANJ-3 is in our museum at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). It belonged to Bob Prescott, one of our past Executive Deputy Directors. It was supposedly issued to him in WWII.

125454868_sKLjf-L.jpg

125454872_89Nyo-L.jpg

125454877_K5JuZ-L.jpg

125454879_VqduV-L.jpg

125454885_tprcK-L.jpg

125454875_9yrjq-L.jpg

Striker

Thanks for the photos David and Wild Bill....... I appreciate it.

So basically, the AN-J-3 with windflap in these photos is an A-2 jacket except:

1) There is no buttons for the collar to snap down
2) No metal 'hook' at the neck
3) M-422/G-1 pockets
4) M-422/G-1 waistband
5) M-422/G-1 bi-swing back
6) M-422/G-1 cuffs

Other than these 6 things, it looks like an A-2.

Thanks,

Striker

Striker

Is the windflap on the AN-J-3 and on the A-2 positioned precisely at the center of the jacket, with the zipper running slightly off to the left? Or, is it the zipper that is positioned precisely at the center, with the windflap being slightly off center?

Striker

bfrench

Administrator
Striker said:
Is the windflap on the AN-J-3 and on the A-2 positioned precisely at the center of the jacket, with the zipper running slightly off to the left? Or, is it the zipper that is positioned precisely at the center, with the windflap being slightly off center?

Striker

Zipper is in the center with the flap covering it just like any cloth jacket you see around.

Bill French

fishmeok

Bill- does the leather on that jacket look like goat A-2 or Goat G-1? It looks a bit more like an A-2 in color and texture to me. I'm very curious, my next big project is going to be taking apart a trashed size 46 M-422A and using it as a basis for an AN-J-3 with the A-2 features like this one.
Cheers
Mark

johnnyjohnny

Re: The AN-J-3/g-2

sorry i don't have the reference with me now, but it was history on the anj3/g-2...the word from it was that the only 'issued' anj3/g-2 were prototypes that were given to service personnel, and not many of them...before it could become an official issue it was replaced by (eeeeeeGaDS!) nYLoN...

but that history, and other such i've read, state that the anj3/g-2 can have windflap inside, like the g-1, or outside, like the a-2...can have epaulets like the a-2, or none like the g-1, but they DO have a biswing back like the g-1...however no collar snaps or throat hook, and no fur collar

i got a real deal on one on ebay a few months back because i did want to have one of these jackets properly done...i'd originally made the mistake of buying the one uswings makes, and then finding it didn't have a windflap at aLL, which was NOT the case on any of the real ones made...another reason not to buy uswings in my opinion (i must admit it did state in the fine print there was no windflap...kind of like the fine print on a car sticker saying there are no tires on the car)

anyway, the one i got cost $58 or so, and i don't think anyone realized it was actually an anj3/g-2...and when i got it i researched the maker, johnson leather of san francisco, to find they are very high end jacket makers...it doesn't have hardly any wear, though the leather is that faux distressed leather that was pre-distressed in the 70s/early 80s...which looks cool, though the distress marks don't match body movement as the current crop of distressed designer mil jackets have

because it's tailored so well, the collar is sharp, and not flappy like most repro anj3/g-2s...the only other thing i regret (along with the 'distress') is the 'hidden' side entry pockets on the jacket...they are hidden behind the patch pockets, but still, i'd rather the thing was entirely authentic...still, it's quite a nice jacket...don't have my camera up and running otherwise i'd post

so it seems these jackets were the ghost jacket of the war...several legit versions, but never issued officially...though jack nicholson is wearing one of the anj3/g-2 versions in 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest'...so that's good enough for me

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Re: The AN-J-3/g-2

johnnyjohnny said:
...before it could become an official issue it was replaced by (eeeeeeGaDS!) nYLoN...

... but they DO have a biswing back like the g-1...

Well cotton actually, the B-10.

From John's CD ....

This jacket type appears to have been made in small numbers by several makers, with very different designs. There are some with epaulettes, some without, and some with bi-swing backs, and some without. The B-10 jacket was chosen to replace the A-2, rather than this type of jacket

rpmooreii

I had a beat up AN-J-3 that I gave to John C as it was really only good for a pattern. We both felt that it was 40s issue based on the goatskin but of course it had no spec label. It definitely looked the part and it was clear that the leather collar was orig (ie somebody didn't hack up a Navy jacket back in the day). It was actually a big size...probably a 44 but has been hacked up over the years (part of the zipper box was cut off during a poor waistband replacement, knits were horrible, no lining, etc). As I noted I gave it to John in the hope that he would make a repro as I much prefer the bi-swing jackets to the one piece back jackets.

...Roger

asiamiles

rpmooreii said:
As I noted I gave it to John in the hope that he would make a repro as I much prefer the bi-swing jackets to the one piece back jackets.

It would seem an obvious next project for the great man, making it available in both its incarnations.

rob75IT

sealbeachbum said:
I posted these pictures awhile back but looks like it's time to break them out again. :D

This ANJ-3 is in our museum at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). It belonged to Bob Prescott, one of our past Executive Deputy Directors. It was supposedly issued to him in WWII.

125454868_sKLjf-L.jpg

125454872_89Nyo-L.jpg

125454877_K5JuZ-L.jpg

125454879_VqduV-L.jpg

125454885_tprcK-L.jpg

125454875_9yrjq-L.jpg

Bill
Thank you for the pics of this beautiful jacket and with this gorgeous patches.

If I don't bad remember also sheniko was telling that has owned on ANJ3 with tag.

asiamiles

I'm pretty sure James Woods wears one in the 1988 film COP. I remember at the time thinking "oh, that's a G-1 except it doesn't have a fur collar" and then a couple of weeks later seeing one exactly the same in a shop in Kensington Market; both were new-looking jackets though, not vintage items.