• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Aero Zip Zipper ....

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I bought a seal Aero A-2 today, with the made up contract number of 39-1410P. She's a musty old specimen, I would guess going back to the 1980's ... no tagged size, but she seems to fit, and is currently on probation.

Anyhow, the brass zipper is simply called ZIP, and it appears to be all original. Anyone know if/when Aero used these, or is it an orphan?

HHjackets

it's definitely original, if i remember correctly it's thin and bar shaped.
i don't know when they used them, i'd guess 80's as well.
i bet the jacket is steerhide and has a collar stand with small/rounded collar points?!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Thankyou, and yes, all the right answers. I hadn't even noticed the collar stand. :cool:

HHjackets

you're welcome, pics coming up!?
i have to say the one i had was one of the jackets which the collar stand sat properly, no pocking and it never felt like it was there at all. the other jacket was a Sefton and the collar stand was nicely done too.
unfortunately both fitted short in the body.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I'll try, and take a couple of pictures, but I don't know that the forum is very interested in the Aero A-2. Yes, the collar stand is fine, and sits well, not at all like a Rough Wear.

I checked the measurements on Acme Depot, and this one seems to be a size 40. At 25", the back length is a little longer than their example, so plenty long enough for me.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Okay, these can be the before pictures.

She's quite grubby ... I'll sponge bath the lining, wash down the hide with some Pear's soap lather, condition with RM Williams conditioner, a couple of minor repairs, three small holes in the knits, and some wax on the zipper.

That should do it, we'll see what she looks like then.

Aero.jpg

Aero_back.jpg

HHjackets

looks good! you can actually see the collar doesn't extend past the box stitching on the epaulet which on some other jackets, it goes way past it.