• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The A-2 Fascination

grommet

"We are fascinated by the A-2 jacket. More than likely, if you're visiting our site, you are too..." so went the first words of a well known web site.

My question is, "why are YOU fascinated by the A-2 jacket?"

On scouring a number of books on the subject, I have found surprisingly little discussion about this. The following just about summarizes it:

From Nelson and Parson's "Hell-Bent for Leather":

"...the jacket had a tough, can-do-edge. It looked informal but extremely capable, utilitarian but with a touch of swagger..."

"It had a rare combination of image and mission."

"Something about the leather flight jacket symbolized their [early pilot's] spirit."

From Gary Eastman's "Type A-2 Flight Jacket Identification Manual":

"Its iconic status was further galvanised [sic] in true American fashion when it was 'recruited' once agin, this time by Hollywood. If Hollywood wanted to portray a cool-looking, street-wise youth, a tough likable rogue, or a wartime hero, the chances are he would be wearing an A-2."

From Jon Maguire's "Gear Up!":

"A seasoned A-2 jacket was a status symbol among airmen."

From Marc Weinshenker's Website "Acme Depot":

""It would be perfectly accurate to call me a fanatic about A-2 jackets. Every detail evokes my wide-eyed enthusiasm. Every original jacket I handle has its own special story."

"The A-2 maintains a strong presence to this day due to its rugged simplicity and to an undying aura of triumph and tradition...Besides, an A-2 just flat out looks cool."

In Maguire and Conway's "The Art of the Flight Jacket" and "American Flight Jackets" there is almost no discussion of this.

I know that this is a personal question to be asking. I know there are many reasons for the "jacket sickness".

I will take the plunge first:

1. To me, the best thing about the A-2 is that it can be worn without embarrassment in public and, in doing so, believe that it makes you look dashing, roguish and (even more) youthful.

2. Wearing an A-2 sets you apart from the crowd - jacketed in ill fitting, garish colored, synthetic material bearing fashion, corporate or sport team logos.

3. It somehow ties you to a time of epic struggle between good and evil with the fate of the world literally hanging in the balance.

4. The leather is beautiful to behold and smells great (there are, of course, many exceptions to this).

5. The design is beautiful. (Although it would be more functional with inside and handwarmer pockets, the A-2 is clearly a case of form trumping function.)

6. It is made by hand and the pride of workmanship is obvious.

7. Even though the design was standardized by the military and the various contracts may look similar to the uninitiated, each jacket is absolutely unique.

I invite your thoughts.

zoomer

Five main things come to my mind about Type A-2. They are, in no particular order:

1. The allure of flight, of course, and the combination of practicality, dash, history, youth, and sometimes suicidal bravery all bound up therein.

2. The sheer elegant simplicity of the design. Except for the epaulets and maybe the zip flap, there's really nothing extraneous to an A-2, nothing can be left off. Like the 1932 Ford V-8, another great minimalist design of that era, it might have been engineered out of frugality, but it ended up being inspired. And the radically new ingredient in each - the flathead engine in the Ford, the zipper in the A-2 - was no gimmick, but a serious, practical leap forward.

3. A really classic A-2 even transcends the idea of leather, and of jackets. It ought to be lightweight and pliable enough, and cling well enough to the body, to feel like a kind of outer shirt or sweater - not just another piece of outerwear you don and doff with the weather, but a close companion, like old shoes for your torso.

4. The geek factor - the otaku fascination arising from so many subtle variations in construction, appearance, and fit. This goes across original government contracts, echoes in the reproductions made of those designs, and enters another dimension entirely with decades of latter-day, non-contract jackets.

5. Following on the themes of simplicity and elegance, it's clear to me that the style is timeless. It is beyond fashion. I think they'll be making and wearing A-2s 100 years from now.

grommet

zoomer said:
Five main things come to my mind about Type A-2. They are, in no particular order:

1. The allure of flight, of course, and the combination of practicality, dash, history, youth, and sometimes suicidal bravery all bound up therein.

2. The sheer elegant simplicity of the design. Except for the epaulets and maybe the zip flap, there's really nothing extraneous to an A-2, nothing can be left off. Like the 1932 Ford V-8, another great minimalist design of that era, it might have been engineered out of frugality, but it ended up being inspired. And the radically new ingredient in each - the flathead engine in the Ford, the zipper in the A-2 - was no gimmick, but a serious, practical leap forward.

3. A really classic A-2 even transcends the idea of leather, and of jackets. It ought to be lightweight and pliable enough, and cling well enough to the body, to feel like a kind of outer shirt or sweater - not just another piece of outerwear you don and doff with the weather, but a close companion, like old shoes for your torso.

4. The geek factor - the otaku fascination arising from so many subtle variations in construction, appearance, and fit. This goes across original government contracts, echoes in the reproductions made of those designs, and enters another dimension entirely with decades of latter-day, non-contract jackets.

5. Following on the themes of simplicity and elegance, it's clear to me that the style is timeless. It is beyond fashion. I think they'll be making and wearing A-2s 100 years from now.

Brilliant! Well said!

PaulGT3

Zoomer great post, The thing that hit me out of your post was the GEEK factor!!

SO true about so many of us!!!!!!

Jason

Big believer that less-is-more here. As far as clothing is concerned, the A-2 is a perfect fit with that philosophy. And Marc summed it up beautifully: "an A-2 just flat out looks cool" - without being ostentatious.

Ian C

Some things are just a design icon and have reached a point where they can't be improved upon in the same way that a Great White hasn't evolved for millions of years because it has peaked. I think 501's, the Brando style bike jacket, Converse All Stars etc are all in the same category.
Trying to improve them is like trying to paint a moustache on the Mona Lisa but it doesn't stop people trying.

Ian

Nickb123

The jackets LOOK great. Nothing comes close.
They represent a great deal of history- as well as the finest qualities in man (airmen).
They're made from strong leather-they can take a beating and end up looking better.
The artwork on them is awesome.

Rutger

It may be less practical than it's Naval counterparts, but it looks so goddarn good.
It's iconic, a timeless, seemingly simple design, with many interesting variations within its range.

zoomer

FlyingYankee said:
I suppose for me It's the history. If the A-2 was recently created how many people would be buying them?
And how many would buy them if they'd been replaced after 5 years service, like the A-1, and never seen combat on the backs of tens of thousands of citizen flyboys?

A

Anonymous

I agree to all above and like to add that
it's also a manly jacket
as opposed to the modern style gay looking leather jackets with the 20 zippers and 10 pockets.

I've been in love with the A-2 since I was a little kid watching 12 O'clock High. My Dad was a pilot and started teaching me how to fly when I was 4 years old. I've been a pilot my whole life, and to me the A-2 is the quintessential pilot's jacket. I do however have to say that all though I love the look of the A-2, I prefer to wear G-1 / M-422A jackets because they are so much more comfortable. I guess since I was in Naval Aviation kind of influences me too.

johnwayne

Very intersting topic and I guess could also be summed up as to why each of us got fascinated by 'just a leather jacket' in the first place - whilst that maybe is the perception to the non-affeciando's out there, we all know different, dont we! When people get know my fetish (yes I think it really borders on that) for this iconic garment and ask me why/what it is about it, it really is hard to put into words.
All I do know is that I love, yes love my A2's as much now as when I got my first one some 20+ years ago!
I'd only be repeating everything said so far but in a nutshell and from any angle you come from, its pretty faultless (apart from possibly an inner pocket but hand warmers a definite no no though).

cheers
Wayne

herk115

I can't add much more than to repeat what most have said: they just look so darn cool! But I will add that in both WWII and the modern USAF, if someone is wearing an A-2 it means they've made the varsity squad (only 3% of the air force actually flies). It's as much a symbol of achievement as a pair of wings. I'll take my A-2 over a letterman's jacket any time!

Phantomfixer

yep IMO the A-2 looks a ton better than a varsity jacket...guess I was second string though :lol: :lol: :lol: just a crew chief :roll: :roll: :roll:

herk115

jzist said:
yep IMO the A-2 looks a ton better than a varsity jacket...guess I was second string though :lol: :lol: :lol: just a crew chief :roll: :roll: :roll:

Were you a DCC? That's an aircrew position, at least in my day. You could have gotten flying time, at least in your Dover days.

Phantomfixer

was an ACC so I could pick the missions I wanted to go on, unlike the FCCs, those guys were used and abused. Was a good time at Dover.......