• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell me why...

marco77

Hello all !!

I spend a part of my afternoon reading VLJ and FL forums and I was wondering why some of you chhose the " Irvin" ...
Just a little of repro makers are producing this jacket : ELC , Aero , ALC (don't tell me The Few :evil: ) .... offer us a choice of this emblematic jacket .
But why ?????
Is it a more confortable , warmer , beautiful , etc.... or you just want to get out of too much classic others jackets like B-3 ?
Is there an "Irvin" virus :?: :?: ;)
I have a "big head" tonight after reading about maybe 300 pages on FL .... :?
My choice will certainly go for an ELC or an Aero BoB , both of this jacket look pretty good ....

Marco

zoomer

I have a secret theory that a lot of guys really want a B-1, but can't afford a Few, the only one still made.

John Lever

zoomer said:
I have a secret theory that a lot of guys really want a B-1, but can't afford a Few, the only one still made.
Yeah, but it's not a proper one though. It has the wrong seams.
They should look like this -
image_09.jpg

image_13.jpg

dmar836

I've always wanted a repro of any of the iconic jackets. Bottom line is that they are not the most comfortable and limit range of motion.
If we are still looking for authenticity, this is what the airmen complained about during the war too.
The A-2s are much more practical.
JMO,
Dave

Roughwear

The A2 is a great jacket for milder weather, but not really practical for cold winters in the UK, when the comfortable and stylish Irvin comes into its own! ;)

Andrew

For me being a child of the 60's the Irvin was the iconic Flying Jacket. We (Australia) as with all other Commonwealth Nations didn't wear a light leather flying jacket in WWII but thousands of RAAF aircrew did wear Irvins. My interest lies in the cultural historical links.

A-2's were worn here in Oz by the crews of the 5th AF, and also made here in tiny numbers hence my interest in them too, and they are much easier to wear these days.

dmar836

I have found, over the past few winters, that the longer coats keep me warmer. Of course most of the time I'm wearing scrubs when I feel that wind.

I'm tempted to try a project of one of the B-9, B-11 variants.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
zoomer said:

Actually, they no longer offer it ... I guess they found the B-2 sold better, and was easier to make.

Roughwear

This is a good point. ELC Irvins have been more expensive than Aero Irvins for some time. It may just be due to relative labour costs, materials (the fleece costs may be much the same, but the ELC Riri zips made be more expensive than the ones Aero uses) and acceptable profit margins in the West Country compared with Scotland. However in general Aero A2s are also cheaper than ELC ones so perhaps ELC makes a larger profit margin on their products, but I'don't know for sure!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
marco77 said:
Is there a reason that justify the difference of 125 gbp between the BoB ELC and BoB Aero ?

Yes ... I think it's generally agreed that ELC make the better Irvin.

Roughwear

Overall this is true David, although Aero have raised their game recently, especially with their pre-war Irvin. However neither manufacturer makes a 100% accurate Irvin, but perhaps LL will achieve this in 2011!

John Lever

I think this year with the new shearling from Fenland that I found for them they will get market share. They kept all the leftovers from my skins to send out as samples and they were very popular.
My hope is that Eastman will move away from the dry paper look to a less dry look. The recent increase in demand for the older jackets proves that the new ones are not liked.
Just ask Cliff.

Roughwear

It will be interesting to see what ELC do now they have discontinued their short lived '44 Devon fleece Irvin. Gary only has to look at near mint surviving examples of Irvins to see the finish was not papery and dry. I think he will be facing strong competition for Irvins in 2011.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
horseback leader said:
Wow.. that is just a stunning, stunning jacket! David you're saying no one makes a repro of that type anymore?

The Few discontinued it, and I don't know of anyone else. They still offer the B-2, which is essentially the same jacket ... blanket lined instead of the shearling.

Here's Bevan's ...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1394&p=13830

269sqnhudson

marco77 said:
Is it a more confortable , warmer , beautiful , etc.... or you just want to get out of too much classic others jackets like B-3 ?

Marco

For us Brits the Irvin IS the classic jacket......the B3's American