• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tech Order 13-1-10 Oct 43. “Refinishing Sheep Shearling Type Clothing”

Micawber

IMG_2286.jpeg

IMG_2290.jpeg

flyincowboy

Oops!!! Now i understand why all the wartime B3 are so fragile!! if not nourished the leather will become dry and stiif as cardboard!!!ACETONE act as a degreaser and get rid of the fat and oils used during the tanning process! The finish lacquer seal the top of the skin by waterproofing the leather which continue to dry for years !

Dumpster D

I can't get over the illustration. Here's a few gallons of Acetone and a rag, have at it.

More concerned about the flammability than your personal health.

Just crack a window and let a nice breeze flow through la dee da, don't even need a respirator or anything.

"Sir The fumes are making me dizzy"

"Yeah they'll do that"

pxeznznvp8k91.jpg

B-Man2

I can't get over the illustration. Here's a few gallons of Acetone and a rag, have at it.

More concerned about the flammability than your personal health.

Just crack a window and let a nice breeze flow through la dee da, don't even need a respirator or anything.

"Sir The fumes are making me dizzy"

"Yeah they'll do that"

View attachment 137661
Totally understand and agree with you. Unfortunately times being what they were, no one knew or considered the long term effects of anything back in those days. Smoking being a classic example. And even if they did know about it, I’m sure there were some that would disregard the warnings …. Again … looking at people today …. Smoking being the example.

Skyhawk

I saw this on a Fur Forum. Makes sense:

"Cornmeal,or cobgrit or hardwood sawdust is used in conjunction with mineral spirits and a little water to clean fur.
The mineral spirits dissolves excess tanning oils left in the fur and the media will take it up.Then shake out the media.
There is no way to soften coarse fur.If a pelt is from a heavy section and has full underfur certain species can have the coarser guardhairs plucked out leaving the soft plush underfur."

John Lever

I don't think sprayable water based lacquenr existed 80 years ago. From my experience acrylic lacquer came around in the 1980's at the same time as water based car paints. Acrylic doesn't flow out like cellulose and is usually white prior to drying

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

I to wonder what that sealer was.Thing is I don't think you can put cellulose lacquer over an acrylic base (Poly-acrylate). And cellulose lacquer tends to yellow a lot and be on the brittle side so it would crack.

Micawber

I don't think sprayeble water based lacquenr existed 80 years ago. From my experience acrylic lacquer came around in the 1980's at the same time as water based car paints. Acrylic doesn't flow out like cellulose and is usually white prior to drying

Yes you are right there John. The specified poly-acrylate dye was water soluble.

What Dany says is correct, it would only require a thin coat of cellulose. As an aside, oil based finishes over cellulose is generally safe but not the other way round.

Dany McDonald

I know and agree, but do we see excessive yellowing on originals today, I don't own any so can't comment or add on that.

And the sealer could start cracking right after its cured. So the effectiveness of the process could be questioned if cellulose was used.

Micawber

Dany McDonald

Agreed. Poly-acrylate dye so perhaps poly-acrylate or similar sealer / finish.

Thank for that piece of info Steve, interesting. I am trying to track the earliest usage of a sprayable synthetic varnish, before the early 50's...

We know that a cellulose varnish was used in the early 1900 up to now, to proof the textile wrap on the wings of airplanes.

If you read the first paragraph, the problems were not to be address for short-term usage, or at least for the duration of war, and I expect, even after. So a proper varnish or sealer must have been planned to meet the expectation of the directive.

We need to track what's behind: stock number 7300- 538270

D