• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tanker Jackets - How Would You Rank The CURRENT Editions ?

alcon

How would you rank (1,2,3,4) the current editions of tanker jackets made by BR, At The Front (ATF), WWII Impressions, What Price Glory (WPG), etc.? It seems that most reviews I've read so far mention that the reviewer is waiting for a new edition from a particular manufacturer. Does anyone own or have seen the "new editions" and would like to comment on them? Thanks :)

CBI

Re: Tanker Jackets - How Would You Rank The CURRENT Editions

Alson - thanks for asking as I am in the market for one myself. The WWII Impressions one looks nice - its $185. I am not well versed on this jacket in general but I do like these two below and they are about 1/2 the price. I am leaning towards the 1st version with the outside pockets. Does anyone know this company's tanker jackets. They make some very cheap looking A-2's IMO. I understand one gets what one pays for but ........

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-US-Army-1st-Mod ... ltDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-US-Army-Winter- ... ltDomain_0

maybe the color is off a little? too dark? but I do like the look. Cloth is not my specialty so its a situation of "looks good to me" and its inexpensive - got to be a catch here :)

havocpaul

I have seen a number of repros old and current, if we disregard the high-end Jap repros (BR, RM etc) because they are very expensive (although the BR is THE best repro available) then I recommend WW11 Impressions ( good weight, colour and lining), the European-made Tanker where the spec label lists the maker as Taberley Clothes and dated 6.6.94(!), they were made at the time of the 50th anniversary of D-Day and are still found occasionally: good weight, Talon zips on the right side, zipper not going right to the top of the collar which is how they should be. I like the early Tanker with patch pockets from ATF, I saw one last year on a re-enactor and it looked good. There are a number of Far East ones such as those CBI linked to, they are also stocked here in UK by the likes of SOF and quite frankly are not up to scratch IMO, they all have an Armored Div patch which of course can be removed but are sometimes poorly attached, some have incorrect zippers, left sided and very poor lining. It really is a case of getting what you pay for, if you want one that will last and feel right and keep you warm then avoid the cheaper jackets, I've seen them get wet and then sag and stretch all over the place!

Clark J

Welcome Juan!!!I think a tanker is next.

ww2imp

havocpaul said:
I have seen a number of repros old and current, if we disregard the high-end Jap repros (BR, RM etc) because they are very expensive (although the BR is THE best repro available) then I recommend WW11 Impressions ( good weight, colour and lining), the European-made Tanker where the spec label lists the maker as Taberley Clothes and dated 6.6.94(!), they were made at the time of the 50th anniversary of D-Day and are still found occasionally: good weight, Talon zips on the right side, zipper not going right to the top of the collar which is how they should be. I like the early Tanker with patch pockets from ATF, I saw one last year on a re-enactor and it looked good. There are a number of Far East ones such as those CBI linked to, they are also stocked here in UK by the likes of SOF and quite frankly are not up to scratch IMO, they all have an Armored Div patch which of course can be removed but are sometimes poorly attached, some have incorrect zippers, left sided and very poor lining. It really is a case of getting what you pay for, if you want one that will last and feel right and keep you warm then avoid the cheaper jackets, I've seen them get wet and then sag and stretch all over the place!

I would agree to some of the above but I feel ours is the best choice.

If you put our jacket next to a higher priced competitor you will notice our jacket at almost half the price is comparable to theirs. If you put our jacket next to a lesser priced competitor you will notice a significant difference in substance. Our cotton twill is and feels more robust and won't turn to pijama cloth after cleaning. Our wool lining is densly woven, top quality 100% wool melton in the accurate color and will actually keep you warm year after year. We use Talon zippers on the correct side. 100% wool knitted cuffs, collar, and waist. Our pattern cut is very authentic. We don't cut corners in quality.

All in all, you definately get what you pay for. Unfortunately, I am currently very low in stock and I am out of some sizes. More are in the works and I hope to be restocked by year's end. Best to check our website for currently availability.

havocpaul

The repro of yours Juan I have seen was several years old but as I said, very good and authentic. I will be looking for a size 42 myself for this winter so will keep an eye on your website.

CBI

I decided to order the second tanker version from ATF. I was going to order the first version but decided at the last moment to go more mainstream!

They had the size I needed and frankly, I have always had great luck with them. They are based in KY (2 states away) and I usually get items within 2 days (not that I can't wait a little while longer). I should have it Monday or Tuesday.

This is not to say that the WWII Impressions tanker is not a good version. It looks great. I have enjoyed products from both WWII I and ATF (and WPG). My experience is that no one company makes the best of the many different types of items that are offered. One has to pick and choose a little. :) I am just incredibly happy that there are so many options.

alcon

CBI - Would you consider giving us a review, with pics of course, when your new ATF Tanker arrives? I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Weasel_Loader

You all got me thinking about a Tanker now. Loved my ELC B-10, but didn't get enough use as it was too warm. Our weather is suited much better for lighter jackets. I'll have to consider both ATF and WW2 Imp. ;)

CBI

I will post some pics

CBI

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8006

My ATF Tanker arrived yesterday only to find they shipped an HBT jacket instead (the wrong item). So, no pics however I did get a modern tanker that arrived today like the first photo from the above thread and I really like it. I might even end up returning the ATF jacket unless I really, REALLY like that one. This modern version is great and I paid a whopping $10.00 for it via eBay.

High Iron

Ordered a Tanker from WW2impressions yesterday. They had size 46 in stock. I think I spoke with Jason, extremely helpful with measurements and questions regarding how they fit. I'll post pics and let everyone know what I think.

ww2imp

High Iron said:
Ordered a Tanker from WW2impressions yesterday. They had size 46 in stock. I think I spoke with Jason, extremely helpful with measurements and questions regarding how they fit. I'll post pics and let everyone know what I think.

You spoke with Jonathan. I look forward to your post as well.

High Iron

Thanks for the correction Juan. Can't wait to get the jacket.

veli1

High Iron said:
Thanks for the correction Juan. Can't wait to get the jacket.

Hello High Iron,

we are all waiting for your jacket to arrive :D!
I think WWII Impressions tanker jacket is my next purchase too...

Cheers,

Veli

High Iron

Hey Veli1,

Should get it on the 24th. Will let you know as soon as I can.

Take care,

H.I.

CBI

My ATF Tanker arrived today - I am impressed - great quality. I will post pics as soon as I can get someone here at home to take some :roll:

veli1

CBI said:
My ATF Tanker arrived today - I am impressed - great quality. I will post pics as soon as I can get someone here at home to take some :roll:

Hey CBI,

you need a tripod and maybe remote control.. :D
We are all anxious to see your tanker and High Iron's ;)

V.