• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talon info needed

767fo

If someone can let me know the timeline this slider was made and what contract it might have been used on I would appreciate it. Thanks

6b60c756.jpg

0262cb57.jpg

ButteMT61

See this page.

Under the Hardware topic:
"...Early Talon zips, found on pre-war jackets, had a wide bell-shaped puller with a full-circle cutout, and attached to the slider with a simple rolled hook. Other pullers, apparently of earlier vintage, had an arc-shaped cutout at the bottom and a series of vertical lines on either side."

And this:
"..."Early Talon zips, found on pre-war jackets, had a wide bell-shaped
puller with a full-circle cutout, and attached to the slider with a
simple rolled hook. Other pullers, apparently of earlier vintage, had
an arc-shaped cutout at the bottom and a series of vertical lines on
either side." Found here.

OTOH, I'm sure Andrew or JC knows all about them :)

From the GW site:
"Zippers in A-2 jackets from 1931 to 1939 were made with a metal base frame, and then rivets in the leather that stabilized the zipper end. We have an excellent copy of a 1939 Talon, though our zipper has the name Waldes, as Talon is a currently owned brand in the USA. Some jackets from Werber's 1939 contract had the newer Talon zipper with the sunburst stopper and a slider with a full circle hole puller. We choose the earlier model zipper for our 1939 Werber."

Found here...

767fo

Thanks for the info Scott. I tried to fit it on a M-39 Talon tape and the male end of the zip was to large.

Roughwear

This Talon zipper dates to 1942 and was used on several later A2 contracts, such as the Dubow 27798, the Poughkeespie, and the last RW contract. The preceding Talon zipper was the triple marked one and it was used far more extensively on A2s than the plain variety.