• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talking about originals? - Kriegsmarine jacket

Enigma1938

There was a lot interest in original wartime jackets here lately including a few outstanding A2's, so I thought I could share my latest acquisition with you guys.
It's not an A2, nor a flight jacket but vintage anyway.
It's a german ww2 Kriegsmarine leather jacket for "Maschinenpersonal" or "engineers" in proper english, but it was worn by other lower rank staff also, Officer's had a different longer collared leather coat with two button rows.
This type was issued a lot on german U-boats but seems that it was issued on other Kriegsmarine vessels also.
Later in the war this jackets became pretty popular in german SS and tank units too (but with standard pebbled Army buttons instead of the Kriegsmarine ones).
This jacket were made in black and grey from various manufacturers in Germany and all over occupied Europe, a lot in France for example.
Since I watched "Das Boot" I wanted such a jacket like actor Erwin Leder alias "Das Gespenst" is wearing in the movie for many years but haven't searched for it intensively.
A few weeks ago I unexpectedly found one for sale and couldn't resist anymore.

This exemplar is in perfect condition for its age, there's no manufacturer label but all the buttons are stamped with "Kriegsmarine 1940" so the jacket turned 83 years old this year.
Although the leather is thick and sturdy it is still soft and pliable with no rips or cracks all over, all seams are intact and strong and the wool blanket liner looks like new. Seems it was carefully stored away for decades. Other than cleaning it gently and resew one or two buttons I had no work to do.
The jacket is absolutely wearable and fits like a 52-54 in german size or a 44 in good old US.
I'm quite happy with my acquisition, I have a replica of that jacket type since some years which I like pretty much but having an original in such a great condition now is just awesome!
Sorry no fit pic at the moment because it's 31°C or 87,8°F here since days - will add later.
20230910_190132.jpg
20230910_185132.jpg
20230910_184232.jpg
20230910_184208.jpg
20230910_184502.jpg
20230910_184354.jpg
20230910_184545.jpg
20230910_184531.jpg
20230910_184516.jpg

B-Man2

Last edited:

Enigma1938

Thank you for your reply Burt.
You're right about your comment, there was such a great loss in life and material when it came to the "Ubootwaffe".
That guys have to had balls of steel to have served on those vessels under such conditions - they have my deepest respect.
I've seen your coat on other posts before, a pretty nice piece and it suits you well Burt.

Silver Surfer

many years ago, I had one such as the engineers jacket. it was brown, heavily worn and had glass buttons that looked like the buttons on your jacket. do you know what the composition of the buttons on your jacket are, ie: metal, composit bakelite, painted glass. etc?

Enigma1938

many years ago, I had one such as the engineers jacket. it was brown, heavily worn and had glass buttons that looked like the buttons on your jacket. do you know what the composition of the buttons on your jacket are, ie: metal, composit bakelite, painted glass. etc?
Those buttons on my jacket are made of fire-gilded metal. I don't know exactly but have heard somewhere that some of them were made from zinc.
I know the glass buttons also, have a set of grey painted ones.
If your jacket appeared brown it was most probably the grey version originally. I've seen a lot of them with worn off color so they look brown now.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Im not sure that most people realize just how cold it was in the U- Boats when they were at depth in the North Atlantic . I’ve read a few stories over the years which were taken from interviews with surviving U Boat crews, wherein they said that it was so cold most of the time that the crew often worn every piece of clothing they had . Thus the photos of them in bulky turtleneck sweaters and leather jackets , woolen watch caps and scarves . Looks like they also had leather pants to match the jackets .

Silver Surfer

the hunters became the prey. 70-80 percent losses is probably conservative. back in the day there was a neighborhood in nyc called Yorkville that had a fairly large German and Austrian population. needless to say, there were quite a few bars-beer halls. as a fall rite, some buddies and I would stop in one after going to the metropolitan museum of art. we liked this particular place, Hoff brau house I think it was called, because it had a bunch of regulars that were obviously former wwll German service men. one of these guys was a u-boat sailor, and brother was he screwy as a shit house rat after a few weisse beers [the big ones with a piece of lemon] .

CombatWombat

I've got a jacket that looks like a slightly different version of this (has a stand and fall rather than mandarin collar with odd pin punctures on the tip)
Didn't come with buttons (had holes for removable buttons and split rings) so I replaced them with fireman's buttons since I thought it was a turnout coat

Pilot

I'll try to get a photo of mine tomorrow morning but mine doesn't have that upper pocket (which I've only seen on swedish "brewer" coats)
So sure not Kriegsmarine/Panzer/German and/or WWII…
Happy to see and looking forward to your photos.