• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunbath for an english veteran

Dani-B

Hello dear VLJ-Fellows
Gave my good ol' electrically wired LINKS Irvin jacket (labeled "A.M. B.81864 / 40 / C.I.D. Size 7") a pleasurable sunbath yesterday. The jacket is in great condition for its age, the leather soft and flexible without any holes, rips or tears, the DOT-marked zips with original pull tabs worked smooth and well, all seams and stitchings are intact and firm. Chain hanger, Collar rings and eyelets for the elastic collar strap are present. The fur is dense and in perfect condition, only the cuffs and the waistband shows wear and tear. The wiring and the plugs are still in place under the leather channels (except the connection wires and plugs for the trousers and the aircraft system).
In the past I did some gently restauration work at the Jacket: cleaning and refreshing the fur by hand with a damp cloth dipped in a special detergent for sheepskin, and the leather surface became a few of small amounts of Pecards Antique Leather Dressing in a weekly gap.
I love this wonderful, 72 years old "witness to history" and I' m wearing this Jacket - with reasonable care and respect of course - regularly at wintertime, unless the temperature is low enough :)
Hope you enjoy the pics, and sorry for the strange english, but it's not my mothertongue - hope you understand it anyway.

Regards Dani - and thanks a lot for your allways interesting and informative threads here!

A real beauty
P1050213_front.jpg

Well preserved
P1050209_zipps.jpg

DOT Made in England
P1050207_mainzip.jpg

The vents
P1050203_vents.jpg

... and the back
P1050212_back.jpg

Roughwear

Thanks so much for posting these pics. Links jackets in a size 7 are very rare. Yours appears to be a well made example from this prolific London maker. I have a similar wired Links jacket and have posted pics of it on the FL, where there is often more interest in original Irvins than here.

Peter Graham

That's a fantastic looking Irvin. Full of character. Enjoy wearing it. It looks to be sturdy enough for decades more use.

Dani-B

Thanks for your comments, fellows!
Here are a few more close-up pics for our "aficionados" here at VLC ;)
Hope you enjoy the pics.
Regards Dani

The thick, linen "Air Ministry" label , 43 x 51 mm resp. 1.7 x 0.6 inches
P1050215_label.jpg

"DOT Made in England" main zip and slider box
P1050218_sliderbox.jpg

Collar rings and eyelets for the elastic collar strap
P1050216_collarrings.jpg

Details of the "wiring channels". I can imagine that attaching the wiring and sewing the leather channels on the jacket was a difficult work pattern. The person at the sewing machine 72 years ago did it excellent.
P1050221_wiringchannels.jpg