Stretching your jacket up a size

Discussion in 'How To Info' started by sealbeachbum, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Zmit

Zmit New Member

No no no....I tried this method, I hung all day like a monkey. Not worked.
    Hands stretch together with the jackets sleeves!!!! And the sleeve is still short in relation to the arm - they are the same stretched out.
    After this I have very long arms and coulde use captan control yoke from mine FO seat, but problem of lenghing sleeves was not solved.
    So I had to ask more experienced people here.

2. zoomer

zoomer Well-Known Member

I began to, uh, outgrow my ELC '33 Werber so I immersed the lower half of the body in tap-hot water and wore it for half a day. Results good - I could even blouse the waist a little!

Then I gained 5 lb in 3 months! The gods look down and laugh.

Flightengineer likes this.
  3. zoomer

zoomer Well-Known Member

Is there a professional jacket stretching service anyone knows about? Like for shoes? It might get better results to do things like lengthening sleeves or body, or expanding a collar, by machine. If there is such a machine.

4. Blackcat1369

Blackcat1369 New Member

Hello, came across this forum searching this exact topic! I have an older padded cafe racer that has gotten a bit too tight in the shoulders and armpits. Anybody have any tips for getting the maximum stretch in those areas?
    Thanks!

5. Greg Gale

Greg Gale Well-Known Member

Don't do anything, just wear the shit out of it. Maybe go sleep in it. Wear it with a thick sweater. Do some exercises, move around, drive. It will stretch eventually. Just be patient. I've had my A-2 for more than half a year. It was interesting to compare it with a new one this weekend, mine had much more shoulder room.

jeremiah and Brettafett like this.
  6. Dr H

Dr H Well-Known Member

I've never heard the term 'isophoric alcohol' before (as an organic chemist) - it seems to be bandied around on different fora on the internet, but I imagine that isopropyl alcohol (2-propanol) is probably what is being described.

7. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

add some ice, a little lemon juice to the tequila, and the shoes and or jacket will taste great,,,, and get ya bent.

8. zoomer

zoomer Well-Known Member

Be aware that the more stitch, the less stretch....ie the more tailoring/piecework there is in the part of the jacket you need stretched, the less stretch you can get there. Heavy duty thread has to fight stretching, tearing and other forces and it does!

Stand collars are basically impossible to stretch. I suppose you could if you built your own hat stretcher to a smaller size (the ones for adult hats are all too big).

The belly region of an A-2 won’t stretch well either - it’s got too little horizontal or vertical space without something (zipper, pocket, seam) sewn on.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Flightengineer likes this.